Hive exterior treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi,I'am a newbee.Have just washed with soda,scrubbed and blow torched my 2nd hand Langstroth hive in preparation for bees in the Spring.The exterior of the hive looks a bit washed out now and I wondered if I could treat it with something that is safe for bees,but would put some colour into it.Also the zinc roof has a few very light rust marks that I have cleaned,could I give this a coat of metal paint? and if yes what would be safe.I assume I don't put any treatment on the interior?Thanks in advance for all advice.Terry:confused:

for the wood you can use any form of paint, varnish ,stain,preserver going look through the search section as there are loads of threads with people saying which is the best product for them.

with the roof the two quickest ideas would be, hammerite type paint and for ever paint it or you can buy cold galvanising spray and stick a new layer over the top, it wont be as thick and as long standing as the first coat but it does work, try your local hardware store or tool station/screwfix for it,

the basic gist that most people go with is what is avalible to them at the time of painting as not all shops carry every type of paint

for the wood you can use any form of paint, varnish ,stain,preserver going look through the search section as there are loads of threads with people saying which is the best product for them.

with the roof the two quickest ideas would be, hammerite type paint and for ever paint it or you can buy cold galvanising spray and stick a new layer over the top, it wont be as thick and as long standing as the first coat but it does work, try your local hardware store or tool station/screwfix for it,

the basic gist that most people go with is what is avalible to them at the time of painting as not all shops carry every type of paint

Hi Frenchie, what HP says is correct but could be confusing. If you paint it now or at least several weeks before filling with bees than you can use almost anything, the smell/fumes will be gone long before the bees arrive.

Not sure about varnish though, cracks and flakes fairly easily and would let the water in then and be a nightmare to repair the surface. gloss paint similar I would think.

Linseed oil and beeswax mix applied hot is a great way of treating hives. Otherwise stain/preserver (can you still buy creosote?) will do if done early enough. Th****es and other bee equip suppliers sell coloured beesafe paint in 1 litre cans about a tenner each I think.
hope this helps. Di:.)

sorry but justme is right, depending on my moods the old writing half of the brain cell goes a ittle haywire.

so in slow english,

yes you can paint your hive with any thing that is ok for outside use, i personaly use sadolin and or white exteriour gloss but thats just me

the problem with painting metal is that once you start you have to keep doing it, this is why i suggested this stuff
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Painting+Decorating/Spray+Paints/d150/sd2737
five down!!

its ok and lasts for ages and is pretty good stuff but have a look at what is avalible to you in your area first.

with a national we normaly only paint the outside but when i use my wbc i paint the insides of the lifts aswell to help prevent rotting,

most of my hives are made from cheap ply so i have to do more painting than most to preserve them but i do count the floors/bases as disposible after three years

sorry if i confused these cows udders i call fingers are hard enough to use with out trying to engage the brain as well, i am a bloke there fore the idea of multi tasking dont work, breathing, typing,thinking,drinking tea, and sewing sequins on, it all just stops working after a while

Last edited:
Thanks for all that,will get painting this weekend.

Linseed oil and beeswax mix applied hot is a great way of treating hives. Otherwise stain/preserver (can you still buy creosote?) will do if done early enough. Th****es and other bee equip suppliers sell coloured beesafe paint in 1 litre cans about a tenner each I think.
hope this helps. Di:.)

I wouldn't use creosote. I've known stuff that was creosoted years ago still be fumey on a sunny day. Good way of keeping your hives free of rot, pests and bees.

skyhook that was old creosote but the general public can only by new creosote, they are pretty much the same but they do have seemed to improved it with less of the smell and faults of the old stuff.

if you can deal with lifting a 50 gallon barrel you can still buy the proper creosote if you want, its just for farmers and other people who are supposed to know what they are doing , to use it that is why it only comes in 205 litre barrels

Plan to use Cuprinol Ducksback which should last 5yrs.Will treat and then leave hive out throughout the winter ready for bee's in the Spring.Finally question,the hive currently has a wire queen excluder,but I read that these can warp and damage bee's wings so should I get a plastic one?

can recommend the ducks back you can really see the water running off not sinking into the paint.
queen excluder seems to be pros and cons to all types i have used the plastic ones in my first year down to price over the metal ones, but i now think i will give the metal framed ones a go as i dont like the way the plastic one get waxed down to the top of the frames.
:cheers2:

You can also use clear cuprinol on outside of hive as it is claimed to be harmless to bees (the one with the green label) but no colour though.

I think wire queen excluders with timber surround are best - vaseline the timber edge before you use it to stop them propolising.

Why not just cover lid with aluminum sheet metal and be done with it for life. I tried paint but unless you love to paint every few months it wont last long.

I use aluminum roofing valley metal (maybe you dont have it there). Galvanized steel would be even better but harder to bend without proper tools. The aluminum looks nice and will last forever as long as you dont take a hammer after it or drop rocks on it constantly.

We usually do :sifone:

In GB - paint -no... too much rain - we use metal 99% of the time (that's in case someone comes back with - but mine.....)

skyhook that was old creosote but the general public can only by new creosote, they are pretty much the same but they do have seemed to improved it with less of the smell and faults of the old stuff.

Ahh, 'old creosote' takes me back to my childhood when my dad used to paint the wooden fences with the stuff. Reminders me of balmy carefree Summer days..... horrible stuff though, stained everything in sight

Yeah, just don't use creosote, trust me :cuss:

you might notice I have a few slight issues with the stuff lol

Don't know.....he hasn't been seen, he didn't show for the last session of the season. I got an email explaining his actions with a scan of a really old bee keeping book that he got his ideas from......I replied, yeah, you used to do it the year before use it....WITHOUT the bees inside.

Or words top that effect lol

Creosote plus old sump oil was the recommended treatment in days of yore :cuss:
Still available to the professional ;).

I have used it in the past . Bees seemed to thrive (no varroa then )

I had a well kept lawn at my other house ,I tended it with loving care .
One day I creosoted the garden shed, a couple of days later (to my horror) I spotted brown patches of dead grass all over my precious lawn .Which jealous so and so had thrown weed killer on my pride and joy was my first thought :cuss:
On the steps up to my shed door I saw umpteen paw prints , yes my cat had walked through creosote drips and trailed it all over the lawn ,damn !

She happily came to no harm :laughing-smiley-004

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back