Hive Damage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenperrett

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Something has had a go at two of my hives. They`ve managed to get the mouse guards off and had a good scratch.
Do badgers go for bee hives?

Darren.

Have had the same thing happen to several hives in one apairy a few years ago,and it was badgers doing it.

Have you badgers close to your apiary? They will go for honey and grubs but will normally try and knock over the hive first.

Best way to keep them out is electric netting. As part of work I do badger sett exclusions (under licence) and usually use one-way gates and netting but sometimes have had to resort to electric. They can be very persistant and if they find an 'easy' food source they will return.
Cheers

Last edited:
I wouldn`t mind but they went straight for my new hives and ignored my old ones :boxing_smiley:
We`ve got plenty of badgers around here so I`ll dig out my electric fencer and give that a go. Luckily I keep them strapped down all the time anyway.

Darren.

I used renardine back when i had the badger problem, but this is now illegal,plus the badger boys were working in this area for a long time and the problem just stopped.

I`ve stuck an electric fence around them for the moment, hopefully that`ll keep them out for a bit.

I`ve stuck an electric fence around them for the moment, hopefully that`ll keep them out for a bit.

If you are using a single wire make sure it is set very low, I used electric netting (type you use for chickens). Badgers have fairly poor sight and will just walk under a wire if set too high.

Another way I have heard of dissuading which I haven't the nerve to try is to pee around the area, they have a high sense of smell and shy away from humans. You could also try encouraging them away from your hives by feeding, red skin peanuts are a favourite
Cant blame them from shying away, I have a problem with many humans especially the 'badger boy' type who I class in the same category as bee thieves, vandals and anyone else who doesnt respect what a marvelous world we live in and share.
Before someone says it , no I dont wear sandals and have a beard

I`ve set it at about 5" off the ground. Any lower and I`ll need to get the mower out :)
There are loads of Badgers around here and they`re not very popular with the dairy farmers. I went out lamping last year and there were four badgers running round at our feet.

Darren.

I`ve set it at about 5" off the ground. Any lower and I`ll need to get the mower out :)
There are loads of Badgers around here and they`re not very popular with the dairy farmers. I went out lamping last year and there were four badgers running round at our feet.

Darren.

Darren
That should deter them, a couple of 'stings' to the nose is usually enough or if they are like my Parson Russel 6 or 7.......but then he's not the brightest dog I've ever had.
I see badgers on a regular basis too and have a great deal of sympathy for farmers but have heard a lot of arguments from both sides and there isn't an easy solution... but thats not really for a bee discussion site.
Cheers

I never had much respect for the bager boys either, but a lot of the farmers loved them,suppose they were just doing what they were paid to do by the powers that be,so not really like hive thieves or vandals.
Renardine worked well though.

Last edited:
I never had much respect for the bager boys either, but a lot of the farmers loved them,suppose they were just doing what they were paid to do by the powers that be,so not really like hive thieves or vandals.
Renardine worked well though.

Sorry was thinking of badger baiting boys not DEFRA badger boys who had the unfortunate task of implementing a multi million pound and pointless project.
Its a shame Renardine was incorrectly used and as a result was banned as although I have never used it I understand it was a good deterrant.
Cheers

....Another way I have heard of dissuading which I haven't the nerve to try is to pee around the area, they have a high sense of smell and shy away from humans....

Human hair can also work as a deterrant, and doesn't get washed away with the rain so easily. Problem with the wee thing is that either (a) it's away when it rains, or (b) it stinks in warmer weather if it doesn't rain... Personally, I find a bottle of wee is a better way for girls and for protecting modesty!

Back