We bought in a nuc in April which had been hive cleaned twice before sale. Complete waste of time. We had DWV within a couple of weeks and a high count on a drone brood count. No wing issues now...I have used hiveclean. I did think it worked (monitored varroa drop). The main reason it works is that it contains oxalic acid. It is a very expensive method of varroa control however. Drone culling is free. Thymol and winter oxalic acid are cheap.
Quite....they've had thymol/essential oiled strings, two drone brood treatments and icing sugar since - but they'll still need Sept/Dec treatments. Not the most hygienic bees these!That's why we practice integrated varroa management or whatever Fera are calling it now. I would not recommend just use of hiveclean.