Hive Choice.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCBrum

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 ish
Having thought (very hard) and analyzed and examined and trialed various hive types for more than a year, I have reached the following conclusion -

If you're not a commercial beekeeper (labour and capital costs etc) then there are only two sensible choices of hive.

1. BS Modified National in wood, with maybe 14x12 eke and frames or double brood box.

or -

2. Polystyrene Langstroth, with maybe double brood box.

I cannot see that anything else is an optimized choice at the moment. Can anyone with more experience put up a convincing case for anything else ? (assuming a fresh start, and no existing hives).

There is another path

I think you'll find that there is an alternative

3. A plastic beehive, relatively new to the market that is also optimised - to make a profit for the manufacturer

:reddevil:

3. A plastic beehive, relatively new to the market that is also optimised - to make a profit for the manufacturer

Hmmm, well, It didn't make much progress when it was a 'Dartington' (although I'm sure Mr D is a really good beekeeper), and if I was him I would make what money I could from Omlet.

Personally, I can't see that even putting the price aside it is as useful as my choices, bearing in mind that say three hives are a desirable requirement.

I expect it to be a one or two season 'flash in the pan' unless the price halves.

I expect it to be a one or two season 'flash in the pan' unless the price halves.

Watch ebay next year when the some of the peeps who bought them find out that bees can sting, their neighbours find that they sting or they find out that even with a 500 quid mansion the bees seem toprefer that empty tree on the other side of the road.

:reddevil:

I cannot understand that. It has been in use over 20 years.
Yes, it must make profit, when you run business.

Finman, Rosti is talking about an Omlet Beehaus, which is new on the UK market and costs 500GBP = 600€ approx.
:)

Yes, I have same opinion. The hive is a *.*
What's the matter ? can't you sleep ? or is it still daylight in the Arctic Circle ? :confused: = 04:30am !

In Finland it is 6:30

Latest posts

Back