Hive checks.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco666

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,
do you still check your hive regularly in autumn (if the Queen is there and laying, percentage of brood, eggs, larvae etc. etc.) or you just feed them and let them to be?
Thank you.

Hi Marco,
I inspected some of mine yesterday and I am glad I did. The unite I did with two nucs, one with aggressive queen to be dispatched and the other with a queen from a swarm I collected this season i.e. she has no track record to speak of, but had been laying reasonably well is now a drone layer. So, I have had to unite the unite with strong hive. Also, a colony on double brood has to stay on double brood which will be the first time I do that winter configuration. The bees and I are now ready for the weather to break.

I'm itching to have a peak with it being my first hive but on my last inspection around 18 day's ago i seen brood in various stages from uncapped brood to capped brood so the queen is still there and laying (or was laying not long ago) and also stores getting put around them and into all the empty frames..so i will be leaving well alone now.. the only time i will take the roof of is to feed them if needed..

Hi everyone,
do you still check your hive regularly in autumn (if the Queen is there and laying, percentage of brood, eggs, larvae etc. etc.) or you just feed them and let them to be?
Thank you.

Generally you should only inspect if you need to. During summer months given the queens lifecycle weekly checks are needed for swarm prevention.

At this time of year I open to feed and treat for varroa. I won't pull a frame unless I have to. This may be to check relating to health concerns.

Bees tend not to fill the outside frames, particularly when temps get cooler, which means there is less room for them to store. It is this reason that I move capped frames of stores outwards and empty frames into the middle of the colony.

Thank you.

Thank you very much everyone.
I will feed them, let them alone and hope for the best.

I'm itching to have a peak with it being my first hive but on my last inspection around 18 day's ago i seen brood in various stages from uncapped brood to capped brood so the queen is still there and laying (or was laying not long ago) and also stores getting put around them and into all the empty frames..so i will be leaving well alone now.. the only time i will take the roof of is to feed them if needed..

I would feed now, if your bees need it. Getting colonies in this part of the world to take syrup in October can be difficult, and you want them to store and ripen the syrup before it gets to cold.

I would feed now, if your bees need it. Getting colonies in this part of the world to take syrup in October can be difficult, and you want them to store and ripen the syrup before it gets to cold.
Thank's ..i'm still feeding they have ad roughly 12litres of syrup and 4kg of candipollen gold over the past several week's..

Latest posts

Back