Hive cams

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshcowin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there does anyone use a remote camera to monitor the outside of there hives? I’m looking for a camera that can be powered by either normal or a leisure battery and send photos to me over a SIM card. I’ve seen some trail cams do it but on the models I was looking at there was little to no information on it. So if anyone has one please let me know if they are any good or not. Thanks

Hi Josh

Not sure if this is quite what your looking for but I use a 1 megapixal outdoor IP security camera got of Amazon, think called "Coovu" but will get correct name if interested.

It gives me 24 hour observation I can watch them live any place(even on hols in Greece) any time over my Phone ,tablet or PC, take live snaps or videos see below for a couple of standard shots day and night. The camera and system has a number of other features alerts etc but I do not use them

Focal depth might be the main drawback , picture I have satisfies me though.
Other issue will be power and wifi.
I have power supply close so no problem for me.
Images come via wifi or you can cable from camera to your router.
I finished up using cable for best pics as my hives were not in best position for my router.
There can be occasional lag on streaming pics but it is hardly noticable or a problem.

Hope this helps, It's just great to watch their front entrance, all the comings and goings, battles with the wasps, and nocturnal visits by slugs and other assorted fauna!

Nordicul
IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

Latest posts

Back