Hive Alive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. I wouldn't dispute the need to maintain “balanced intestinal microflora” in any creature, though I do wonder what you are referring to when you say “the collateral negative effects of treatments and feeding used on bees.“ Treatments I can understand, but what on earth are people feeding that has a negative effect.
The polysaccharide Sucrose, i.e. table sugar, dissolved in water is the best feed; whilst nectar, a solution of around 80% water and 20% primarily sucrose is their favourite food. (Honey isn't; it's their emergency rations for winter use when no nectar is available.)

I agree, variety of protein and energy sources.

I'm straying into anthropomorphism and as you say, I'm incorrect, saying that honey is bees' favourite food, but pure sucrose isn't either. I'm also straying from the subject of "Hive Alive', which I have no intention of using. I've also used excessively complex statements not backed up by science.

So let' me make it simple, I suspect that bees' tummies are easily upset and that a settled tummy is important for their overall success.

I'm straying into anthropomorphism and as you say, I'm incorrect, saying that honey is bees' favourite food, but pure sucrose isn't either. I'm also straying from the subject of "Hive Alive', which I have no intention of using. I've also used excessively complex statements not backed up by science.

So let' me make it simple, I suspect that bees' tummies are easily upset and that a settled tummy is important for their overall success.
yes, they like water with it - nectar>> water and sucrose.
That goes for all of us.....I think :)

Maybe not 'easily' in general but yes, probably in winter when they're all cooped up, which is why it's good to use thymol (a scientifically proven prophylactic) as a supplement. It was also observed in trials that bees got off to a better, more vigorous start come spring after it.

I think the key issue here is whether stuff works when used in a controlled experiment (ie science) or if stuff works anecdotally. the two are not the same.

And yes, my grandmother does suck eggs.

I found this post about Hive Alive on an old thread on a NZ forum. (They said they'd seen it on a UK forum so maybe here??)

A bit of a long read but just shows the difference between looking at the science and just believing the spiel.
A pity AdamD didn’t link to the thymol pages in the sticky but considering his normal haunts I guess that would be heresy 😂

Update time.
All my colonies made it through the winter.
I did add hive alive to the early springtime feed for the bees.
Yes they did build up well and all of my colonies started out nicely
However my springtime honey crop was non existent .
All our local association reported a non existent springtime harvest, blaming the weather.
So I wasn't too disappointed.
What I did have was 6 nice strong colonies.

My Summer harvest was a good one despite several local beekeepers reporting it to be the worst ever.

Now this is the good bit. :unsure:
Out of the 5 beekeepers in our association that I keep regular contact with using the Facebook app,
3 reported a very poor summer honey harvest this year, and 2 did well.
The beekeepers that did well are hive alive users.
The beekeepers that had a poor year do not use hive alive.

Now I know that this is not a scientific study.
It could just be that the three of us that did well are very skilled beekeepers ;)
There are also lots of other possibilities for this outcome.
But for now I found this reassuring.

So this year I have added hive alive to the bees winter feed, which they are currently storing away.

All being well I will be able to give an updated report next springtime.
I hope you have had an enjoyable year's beekeeping, even if honey yields were not as you desired.

Update time.
All my colonies made it through the winter.
I did add hive alive to the early springtime feed for the bees.
Yes they did build up well and all of my colonies started out nicely
However my springtime honey crop was non existent .
All our local association reported a non existent springtime harvest, blaming the weather.
So I wasn't too disappointed.
What I did have was 6 nice strong colonies.

My Summer harvest was a good one despite several local beekeepers reporting it to be the worst ever.

Now this is the good bit. :unsure:
Out of the 5 beekeepers in our association that I keep regular contact with using the Facebook app,
3 reported a very poor summer honey harvest this year, and 2 did well.
The beekeepers that did well are hive alive users.
The beekeepers that had a poor year do not use hive alive.

It could just be that the three of us that did well are very skilled beekeepers ;)

So this year I have added hive alive to the bees winter feed, which they are currently storing away.

All being well I will be able to give an updated report next springtime.
I hope you have had an enjoyable year's beekeeping, even if honey yields were not as you desired.
Would be beneficial to know which region/county you are. UK could be Cornwall or Shetland Islands.

Bog standard Thymol emulsion sans fairy dust would have done just as well, if not better, and a fraction of the cost

Just to add another product into the mix. I use Nosevit each Spring and Autumn.
Since using, I have no nosema (check for spores by taking a sample of bees and looking at a crushed sample of abdomens each spring) and all my colonies have come through winter well. I spray the bees with a 200ml of 1:1 sugar solution with 1ml Nosevit. Then repeat after 10 days.
I do leave a full super of honey on each hive as well. The trace elements, vit c, pollen must benefit the colony in some way. Plus they’ve worked hard to collect it so like to share their bounty with them
https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=6368

Bog standard Thymol emulsion sans fairy dust would have done just as well, if not better, and a fraction of the cost
If you take the time to read my post you will see that it was HiveAlive that I gave my bees and not your magic fairy dust that you keep on about.

Also if you read the thread you will see that an earlier post back last year invited me to report back on how I got on with using this with my bees. Hence my post.

And as I said in my earlier post. I am not professing this to be a scientific study.
This is just my findings based on talking to local beekeepers

Just to add another product into the mix. I use Nosevit each Spring and Autumn.
Since using, I have no nosema (check for spores by taking a sample of bees and looking at a crushed sample of abdomens each spring) and all my colonies have come through winter well. I spray the bees with a 200ml of 1:1 sugar solution with 1ml Nosevit. Then repeat after 10 days.
I do leave a full super of honey on each hive as well. The trace elements, vit c, pollen must benefit the colony in some way. Plus they’ve worked hard to collect it so like to share their bounty with them
https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=6368
When mentioning Nosevit.. I use it since I started with beekeeping.. Is it to it or my bees are naturally resistant to nosema.. But had no some serious unexplained losses. I believe there is always some Nosema spores present in some colonies ( if not all), but my belief is Nosevit keep it under control..
About Hive clean, some beeks which are using it, that it works but is helluva time consuming.. There is newer one Varromed which is same principle of application.. I am thinking to use as one dose application in October when brood is non or little existent, but bees still active in some degree. But will not rely only on it, I will apply OA in winter..
I am planning to keep varroa on their toes.. going for 99% kill/reduce.. Last season I got it on loose and varroa hammered couple of colonies. It past relative cheap for me, it could end as total disaster as some beek friends experienced ( loses 60-90%).

Is hivealive not just a more convenient (and more expensive) way of making thymol syrup? from that basis alone it will suit some people, but not others.

I haven't seen any honey bees down at my local beach foraging in seaweed, but they will investigate the seaweed piled up on my vegetable beds. Mind you they are also collecting water directly from the drain outside my kitchen where the sink, dishwasher and washing machine empty in to, hopefully the various washing powders, washing up liquid etc have a cleansing effect. I dont seem to have a nosema problem so...

My take is it helps I've used it five years and I think it's a good product but I think that's down to the thymol in the product. It's expensive though so I'm making my own from thymol and lemongrass next year

Latest posts

Back