Hive Alive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any 'proper' scientific studies on the stuff? Otherwise the discussion will just become the usual argument.
Only on thymol.
Have yet to see any serious studies on the other snakeoil components.

Are there any 'proper' scientific studies on the stuff? Otherwise the discussion will just become the usual argument.
I have not seen any studies, but I used it and observed very positive changes from before and after.
I wouldn't argue with anyone about it, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, all I can talk about is my own experience.
Perhaps there are others that have had a negative experience with it, and I would like to hear these too but its not an argument at all, just passing on a bit of first hand positive experience/opinion in a friendly forum for others to form their own view and possibly evaluate too.

Come on Guys and Girls.
I'm sitting on the fence here trying to make a decision as to whether or not to use it as I have ordered a small bottle.

As I said before. The local Beekeepers I have asked all say positive things about it.
Here on the forum it seems that everyone that has used it gives positive feedback.
Whilst those that have not used it are negative.
🤷‍♂️

Beekeepers like to disagree about so many things : top v bottom bee space, top ventilation v no top ventilation, warm way v cold way, single v double BCs, castellated spacers in the brood box, treating v not treating for Varroa, Amm v other subspecies etc so why not add "Hive alive" to the list

Re Hive Alive : Remember the childrens story of "the kings new clothes". There are people who believe in pixies, elfs, fairies, evil spirits and deities and in the case of the latter are prepared to kill those that don't.

Come on Guys and Girls.
I'm sitting on the fence here trying to make a decision as to whether or not to use it as I have ordered a small bottle.

As I said before. The local Beekeepers I have asked all say positive things about it.
Here on the forum it seems that everyone that has used it gives positive feedback.
🤷‍♂️

So here is my experience.

I have used HiveAlive in the past and the bees came through the winter healthy and strong.
I have also not used it and the bees came through the winter healthy and strong.

Take from that whatever you wish.

There are people who believe in pixies, elfs, fairies, evil spirits and deities and in the case of the latter are prepared to kill those that don't.
[/QUOTE]

Elves !

Wish I could lay my hands on some ol' Jenkins "fairy dust"..... nearest I can find is Finmann's fly agaric... ( still a few in the hedgerows of old Kernow) but can not find a reindeer to feed them to, so that I can extract some urine!

Yeghes da

The local Beekeepers I have asked all say positive things about it.
And as I have said before - the only known effective ingredient in your bottle of snakeoil is Thymol, so save a fortune and make up some thymol emulsion mix.

So have you used hivealive jenkinsbrynmair ?

The reason for my question is that you seem so negative about it.

It is experienced members like yourself that many of us look to for guidance.
On this occasion you have managed to convince me that the only way to find out is to try it out for myself.

Looking at the available information on the internet I think your later comments to be quite inaccurate.
According to the product literature it is not promoting Thymol as the only effective ingredient.
Its main ingredient from what I can see is a seaweed derivative.
Which appears unique in bee feeds/additives.

I have now finished feeding my bees and will be removing the varroa treatment on Monday.
As my order from M@isemore that includes the Hivealive hasn't arrived yet I shall keep it and add it to their springtime feed.
All being well it should be of some benefit.
No one has reported that it causes any harm thankfully.

The makers of "Hive Alive" obviously have a good website. Anyone's questions can easily be answered there. When users are reporting back nothing but positive comments it points to this being a useful product.

The main sales pitch centres on seaweed extracts and their proven ability to promote healthy gut bacteria, We possibly neglect that sphere of bee health as it is impossible to measure or identify. I suppose we only see what their "guts" are like when they have problems with dysentery.

I believe that a balanced intestinal microflora is significant to the overall health of a colony and I've posted below a summary of a recent study which suggests that the colony "smell" which allows bees to identify colony members is less a result of genetic similarity and more connected to the sharing and resharing of food.

I think we have to be cautious about adding anything to the hive as this damages a finely balanced ecosystem, but I would hazard a guess that "Hive Alive" maybe helps to counterbalance the collateral negative effects of treatments and feeding used on bees.

https://www.beeculture.com/catch-the-buzz-gut-bacteria-key-to-honey-bee-id/

According to the product literature it is not promoting Thymol as the only effective ingredient.
Its main ingredient from what I can see is a seaweed derivative.
Which appears unique in bee feeds/additives.

But do bees actually need seaweed?
Given access to it would they forage on it out of choice?
In all the few years of my beekeeping I have seen many additives come and go.
Surely all a bee needs is variety. A variety of protein sources and energy sources, a balanced diet.
There is masses of research into the bee gut biome ...fascinating stuff

Honey bees as models for gut microbiota research
HONEY BEE GUT MICROBIA

So have you used hivealive jenkinsbrynmair ?
Nope, and I'm not daft enough to - not whilst there are better more effective treatments out there
Even though it is the only one which is known to improve bee health
I remember a member of my asssociation years ago, always determined to use an 'alternative' treatment for everything. He shared with me jis home made Varroa treatment, all kinds of weirtd and wonderful ingredients. Then he said "but I always put in a pinch of thymol - as I know that works.

There's always a mug around willing to spend their money on snakeoil - and they'll never admit that they were fools.
But it's not my hard earned so I'll let the naive and the dreamers convince themselves that they are giving their bees a 'treat'.
Research has proven that thymol works to ensure a healthy gut. the rest is just window dressing for the foolish.

I think we have to be cautious about adding anything to the hive as this damages a finely balanced ecosystem, but I would hazard a guess that "Hive Alive" maybe helps to counterbalance the collateral negative effects of treatments and feeding used on bees.
Well, you're the expert, so I'll take your word for it

Nope, and I'm not daft enough to - not whilst there are better more effective treatments out there

Even though it is the only one which is known to improve bee health
I remember a member of my asssociation years ago, always determined to use an 'alternative' treatment for everything. He shared with me jis home made Varroa treatment, all kinds of weirtd and wonderful ingredients. Then he said "but I always put in a pinch of thymol - as I know that works.

There's always a mug around willing to spend their money on snakeoil - and they'll never admit that they were fools.
But it's not my hard earned so I'll let the naive and the dreamers convince themselves that they are giving their bees a 'treat'.
Research has proven that thymol works to ensure a healthy gut. the rest is just window dressing for the foolish.
So all of your comments are still only your opinion as you have not been daft enough to spend your hard earned to try it, but anyone that has tried it and have reported positive results are Liars, Fools and Dreamers.
Have a think about it again, and perhaps even give it a try in one or two colony's, you might be surprised!

So all of your comments are still only your opinion as you have not been daft enough to spend your hard earned to try it, but anyone that has tried it and have reported positive results are Liars, Fools and Dreamers.
Have a think about it again, and perhaps even give it a try in one or two colony's, you might be surprised!
Well all I have seen from you is your opinion - no empirical evidence that they have come out of winter better after a quick dose of your 'magic potion' (your words, not mine, but just about sums it all up)
Never heard such rot.
My bees get off to a flying start with just a dash of winter Thymol and good management

The makers of "Hive Alive" obviously have a good website. Anyone's questions can easily be answered there. When users are reporting back nothing but positive comments it points to this being a useful product. Would you publish negative ones ?
The main sales pitch centres on seaweed extracts and their proven ability to promote healthy gut bacteria, We possibly neglect that sphere of bee health as it is impossible to measure or identify. I suppose we only see what their "guts" are like when they have problems with dysentery.
I believe that a balanced intestinal microflora is significant to the overall health of a colony and I've posted below a summary of a recent study which suggests that the colony "smell" which allows bees to identify colony members is less a result of genetic similarity and more connected to the sharing and resharing of food.
https://www.beeculture.com/catch-the-buzz-gut-bacteria-key-to-honey-bee-id/
Hmm. I wouldn't dispute the need to maintain “balanced intestinal microflora” in any creature, though I do wonder what you are referring to when you say “the collateral negative effects of treatments and feeding used on bees.“ Treatments I can understand, but what on earth are people feeding that has a negative effect.
The polysaccharide Sucrose, i.e. table sugar, dissolved in water is the best feed; whilst nectar, a solution of around 80% water and 20% primarily sucrose is their favourite food. (Honey isn't; it's their emergency rations for winter use when no nectar is available.)
But do bees actually need seaweed?
Given access to it would they forage on it out of choice?
In all the few years of my beekeeping I have seen many additives come and go.
Surely all a bee needs is variety. A variety of protein sources and energy sources, a balanced diet.
There is masses of research into the bee gut biome ...fascinating stuff

Honey bees as models for gut microbiota research
HONEY BEE GUT MICROBIA
I agree, variety of protein and energy sources.

Latest posts

Back