Hive advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ade'sBee's

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, have ,just bought 2 secondhand nationals with 2 shallow supers and brood box, is it a good idea to turn the brood box into a 14x12 ? Ade

As a new beekeeper you should consider compatability. I would therefore suggest that at the outset you leave them both as they are or if you are determined to make the move convert both of them. Before doing anything consider talking to other local beekeeps or society and please but please thoroughly sterilise the hives.

As Sherwood says, really.

Decide what frames and go with it.

Personally I prefer 14 x 12s. They are more difficult for a new starter - I get some wasted foundation if I am not careful.

It is one extra order of difficulty searching out that elusive queen.

Frames can be more difficult to remove without 'rubbing 'the bees up the wrong way!

Most nucs will come on standard deep frames, so may not need so many frames at present on standard brood. So not so much lost.

Might be more important to decide on OMFs rather than solid floors in your first year.

Get frames with wider top bars if you decide 8 1/2 so you maybe only need to change side bars if/when you decide to go 14 x 12.

You might want to go with same size boxes (2 x std brood is a bit big) but are you going for two colonies initially?

I reckon overall, yes. But your call. Take into account all the local advice you can get.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back