Hive abandoned for 5 years

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDragons

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've just learnt of a hive nearby (1 mile ish) that hasn't even been opened for 5 years (left by a divorced partner). The 'owner' wants to keep the hive but is scared to do anything with it. Should I be offering to treat it in any way - I'm worried about disease due to it's proximity to my hive?

Those bees have managed to survive without the intervention of a bee keeper for 5 years.
I'd leave it alone and let them enjoy the comings and goings of the bees.
If it were me I would place a bait hive in a tree close to the site and hope I can attract the swarm and populate an empty Waree hive.

It might put your mind at rest to know that we've had feral bees living in next door's chimney for at least 10 years.

They've been 'poisoned' a couple of times, by somebody who obviously didn't know what they were doing, and now occupy two flues. So we presume there are two colonies up there - matching the two in our garden.

We'll be putting out swarm traps soon. Assuming we catch one we'll be able to see what their varroa load is. It would be nice to think they've worked out some way of dealing with mites without man's interference, but it could be that the tarry soot residues in the flues are acting as an miticide.

The hive you mention is different, and the bees could be quite special. Only you can decide whether to leave them alone or put them into a new hive and help their new owner look after them.

Go and have a look, with caution check for all types of diseases although if they have lived happily for five years they should OK. Make sure you disinfect your equipment after inspection and report any diseases you might find. Offer the owner a few jars of honey for looking after his hive

It would be nice to think they've worked out some way of dealing with mites without man's interference, but it could be that the tarry soot residues in the flues are acting as an miticide.

IIRC, the guys at Varroa Gard developed their product based on the fact that they never found Varroa mites on swarms collected from chimneys, apparently to do with the soot content.

There is a huge tree not far from me with a crack about 3ft long down one side; I have seen bees happily living in it for the last three years. The gap is so wide you can see the comb inside.

Last edited:
Much wishful thinking here without I fear much information to support it. Bees in chimneys do seem to do well but it is probably the chemicals in the soot rather than some magic survivor quality at work.
From my experience hives left alone for many years are repeatedly colonized by swarms and this is easy to detect if you look inside. check for comb running in all directions - at right angles to the frames is not unusual.
However, if you can catch a swarm or two give them a go.

It would be nice to believe these bees have survived for 5 years and likewise the chimney colonies but the likelihood is that the colonies are being repopulated from time to time .
An argument hard to disprove without regular inspections?
VM

Why worry

Hi

Why is everyone worried about varroa etc....I would be more interested in obtaining a Swarm etc from this colony, as they seem to be survivors and that is what I am looking for.................bees that can't hack it shouldn't survive...

What has killed off bees in my opinion is the change in farming practice over the last century or so, human intervention as usual, not some varroa mite.

roy

The most serious disease vectored by the varroa mite is DWV.
Don't dismiss Varroa lightly it is the root cause of many many pathogens affecting honey bees !
VM

Bees in chimneys do seem to do well but it is probably the chemicals in the soot

If this turned out to be true would we all be dusting hives with soot much as some people dust with icing sugar?

:biggrinjester:

I Have removed bees from chimneys 5 times. None have been varoa free and the last one had a heavy load plus DWV.

What kind of fires were they,coal or log burners.?

None off them were in use at the time the bees were in there.

Never thought they were,but was interested in what they had been using as fuel

Not sure what fuel but would think both coal and wood in most cases over the years.
Most have been old disused chimneys that have been blocked of at the bottom and ventilation cowls at the top.

Hi

Why is everyone worried about varroa etc....I would be more interested in obtaining a Swarm etc from this colony, as they seem to be survivors and that is what I am looking for.................bees that can't hack it shouldn't survive...

What has killed off bees in my opinion is the change in farming practice over the last century or so, human intervention as usual, not some varroa mite.

roy
Wow.

Hi

roy

Varroa killed mine off alright :(

Changing farming practices has no doubt had an impact on all pollinating insects, not just bees and it has also had a detrimental effect on birdlife too. On the other hand it also gives us plenty of the cheap food most people have come to expect.

Roy, do not make the mistake of thinking that varroa/varroasis does not kill off bees.

I saw a colony last year where the 'owner' (not really a beekeeper but we are working on that) knew nothing of varroa and was amazed when I pointed out the phoretic mites all over what could have been a nice colony. There were huge numbers of bees with deformed wings and probably other problems to boot. An emergency treatment was given but the colony just petered out....

Let's also not forget the reason for the global spread....Beekeepers.

Plenty of other nasties out there waiting for their chance ... which will come because we never learn from lessons and in doing so we simply repeat them.

It would be nice to believe these bees have survived for 5 years and likewise the chimney colonies but the likelihood is that the colonies are being repopulated from time to time .

And if this hive is only about a mile from the OP, the present colony might even be related to his own bees ... :)

Latest posts

Back