Himalayan Balsam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toffeesmum

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Yippee, yippee, my girls have obviously now found the HB down on the banks of the River Severn and are currently returning home sporting 'Go Faster' white stripes across their backs.

What are yours currently bringing home???

Clever little things!!!

Our's are currently bringing in loads of orange pollen (marigold?) but from where we're not sure and we have a few with the H.Balsam stripe, there must be some further down the stream as there is none on our stretch.

Yippee, yippee, my girls have obviously now found the HB down on the banks of the River Severn and are currently returning home sporting 'Go Faster' white stripes across their backs.

What are yours currently bringing home???

Clever little things!!!

Yes I have an apiary in range of HB and they too have found it and its lovely to watch the bees return.

All of my bees are going great guns right now with a reasonable steady nectar source from a variety of plants building up the BB’s after the recent dry spell. Also more reassuring plenty of pollen just great and the ivy to come great winter preparations for the girls and for some of them the added bonus I wont be blundering my way through the hives again this year. But they will miss me.

had a look at mine on saturday they were white bees everywhere/ but 4 out of 11 colonies were on the verge of starving . and my mates 5 miles away were the same.. he has gone 2 feed them. so i know they are on the balsom but are they bringing any nector in/???? let me know please

had a look at mine on saturday they were white bees everywhere/ but 4 out of 11 colonies were on the verge of starving . and my mates 5 miles away were the same.. he has gone 2 feed them. so i know they are on the balsom but are they bringing any nector in/???? let me know please

Hi Toby I've been speaking to several beek,s over the last few of weeks. We are seeing the same very busy on clover and Balsam but not much in the way of store's. I don't know if the earlier very dry weather has some affect on the pollen. Or the late start to the growing season due to the long cold spell or a mixture of the two. They are bringing in pollen but not much nectar. anyway I have feeders on now so food should be no problem? I will be starting to treat varroa at the weekend.So the feed the bees have now should sustain them if they go off or wet cold spell. Regards Andy

going to see mine tomorrow and iff they havent fetched much in will feed 5 and bring 6 home and feed then go in a acouple of days and fetch the rest home 2 feed

Mine have been on the Balsam too. I see the ivy getting ready to flower, but I need to look at the situation. Still got a super to take off one and get them drawing and filling stores round the brood box, ideally!

well 5 hives home and got a bit of balsom honey 40 pound off 5 hives.. 4 more to bring home next week then thats me lot

Latest posts

Back