High varroa count after treatment?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftypint

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I completed 6 weeks of Apiguard treatment on 28th Sept but there was still quite a lot left crystalised in the tray. I spread that over the top bars as suggested on here.

I put a varroa board under the hive on Monday and after 2 days I can count 100+ dropped mites. From what I've searched and read this seems far too high so. Should I treat asap and if so, what is the best option?

As to the general state of the hive, as far as I can tell not having seen any other hives, I have plenty of bees and they're very active whenever the weather warms up a bit, plenty of yellow/golden pollen on those returning this afternoon.

Hi,

My suspicion is that if you are dropping 100+@48h then it must be a result of the Apiguard doing its job. If not then you have a serious infestation.

Maybe you just need to wait why the Apiguard works. Can you still see any on the top bars?

Did you take any other drop counts before or after treatment started to compare to?

It is also possible that the Apiguard worked and your hive acquired a new infestation after doing some robing.

Depending on the answers to my questions, I would consider giving them a vape of OA. The 48h count will give you a good indentation of the level of infestation and if the Apiguard is working.

Before I started treatment in August I did a count over a few days and it was around 8 per day. I didn't do a count when I finished the apiguard and spread the remainder on top bars on 28th September (forgot). I did another 24 hour count on Friday and it was 20 and I'll stick the board back in today.

I've ordered the oxalic acid vaping gear, just need to borrow/buy a car battery now as mine is a faff to remove from the car.

Beekeeping is turning out to be an engrossing but expensive new hobby.

Reactions: mbc
I've ordered the oxalic acid vaping gear, just need to borrow/buy a car battery now as mine is a faff to remove from the car.

Beekeeping is turning out to be an engrossing but expensive new hobby.

One doesn't need to buy a heavy sla car battery, try looking on Amazon/ebay for Lithium car starter/boosters for about £30 -£40 these pack serious current for there size and are light weight.
I use li-po and li-on 12v for many other uses.

I asked at the garage which services my car, if they had any decent old batteries, which they were recycling. I was given one, free, which has done all my vaping for last five years
Same here👍

Thanks for the advice so far.

I've done 2 vapes 5 days apart so far and and saw approx. 250 mites drop in 24 hours after first and ~200 after second. Doing third tomorrow. If the varroa population doubles roughly every 3 weeks, unless my ApiGuard hadn't worked at all I don't think I'd see these numbers (from an 8 drop in mid August) so guessing they've got infested from robbing somewhere. Will carry on with the vaping and hope I have enough healthy bees to survive the winter.

Given the majority of the winter bees will now have emreged is their any poiint carrying on. I get that it may lower varoa start loads come the spring, but in terms of winter survcial will it make any difference now?
Asking because I'm in a similar position.

I always do an accelerated drop a month after treatment finishes. I'm doing all the hives on Monday. If counts are up they will get another two vapes. I might stop at the second if drops are then low

I always do an accelerated drop a month after treatment finishes. I'm doing all the hives on Monday. If counts are up they will get another two vapes. I might stop at the second if drops are then low
The rationale being? Isnt it the case that varroa causes it's winter survivability issues through viruses in the brood stage. eg DWV

The rationale being? Isnt it the case that varroa causes it's winter survivability issues through viruses in the brood stage. eg DWV
And what about the next load of brood? and the next? a high mite load is not going to be good for colony health regardless of whether your 'winter bees' missed the worst of it or not

And what about the next load of brood? and the next? a high mite load is not going to be good for colony health regardless of whether your 'winter bees' missed the worst of it or not
Yea I got that it could cause a slow builds up in Spring. I'll watch the video.

N

Look at this lecture....It really is worth persevering through the chatty delivery.
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/varroa-feed-on-bees’-fat-body.48587/
The annoying aspect of the video is the almost constant view of Sammy rather than his slides. Notwithstanding this minor complaint, it ought to be compulsory viewing for all beekeepers. Candidates for the Basic qualification should have to answer questions on it. But, beekeeping being what beekeeping is, it will take years for this important discovery to filter through to beekeepers generally. I'm doing an idiot's guide to this presentation via Zoom to my local association in a couple of weeks, hoping to kickstart the process of unlearning what we've been told for years and focussing on the ramifications of this important discovery. Wish me luck!

CVB

The annoying aspect of the video is the almost constant view of Sammy rather than his slides. Notwithstanding this minor complaint, it ought to be compulsory viewing for all beekeepers. Candidates for the Basic qualification should have to answer questions on it. But, beekeeping being what beekeeping is, it will take years for this important discovery to filter through to beekeepers generally. I'm doing an idiot's guide to this presentation via Zoom to my local association in a couple of weeks, hoping to kickstart the process of unlearning what we've been told for years and focussing on the ramifications of this important discovery. Wish me luck!

CVB
You’ll get there
It’s important.
And well done. Brilliant that you’re making the effort.
Can I Zoom in?

Latest posts

Back