High Nosema

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaxy55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
If a hive has tested as high nosema how long do the spores stay active on the comb? Will I need to destroy the comb in the supers?

If you wish to treat super combs use acetic acid. Anything with obvious fouling I’d bin.

Thanks for this Ian123. It does seem very persistent. When tested they returned a very high spore count although they aren't displaying any symptoms.

Am going to try using Nozevit a product developed in Croatia which seems to be backed up with promising reviews. Fed thymol in the past which is very good at keeping syrup mould free but seem to be getting the same results year after year when testing. Have access to an apimelter and read about how heat can be used to kill spores, be interested to know if anybody has used either Nozevit or heat.

Thanks

Am going to try using Nozevit a product developed in Croatia which seems to be backed up with promising reviews. Fed thymol in the past which is very good at keeping syrup mould free but seem to be getting the same results year after year when testing. Have access to an apimelter and read about how heat can be used to kill spores, be interested to know if anybody has used either Nozevit or heat.

Thanks
Nozevit is just Thymol with a few other harmless ingredients to make it look like a non treatment 'tonic' feed (and charge more for it) have you looked in the stickies section for Hivemaker's Thymol emulsion recipe? You need a stronger dose to treat Nosema than the dose you use to stop mould.
If your bees aren't dying of nosema every winter, regardless of your test results why worry over much?

I suppose you have a good point there, ' If your bees aren't dying of nosema every winter, regardless of your test results why worry over much? not really thought of it that way, just thought of it as a disease that needs treating. I suppose Nozevit may be just like the thymol and essential oils recipes I have seen and that BBase state that thymol has no effect on nosema makes you doubt its effect.
Thanks for your help, appreciated.

Last edited:
I suppose you have a good point there, ' If your bees aren't dying of nosema every winter, regardless of your test results why worry over much? not really thought of it that way, just thought of it as a disease that needs treating. I suppose Nozevit may be just like the thymol and essential oils recipes I have seen and that BBase state that thymol has no effect on nosema makes you doubt its effect.
Thanks for your help, appreciated.
Beebase say that but based on what facts? - none, it's just a prejudice stemmed from the BBKA led outlook which it now seems to have (a rot coming from the top down I have heard - look at their new obsession with 'shook swarm'). have a dig, there is more than a few peer reviewed studies out there on the beneficial effect of thymol, for both overwintering survival and as a nosema prophylactic. The studies by the universities of Ege and Thrace in Turkey is one that springs to mind

Attachments

• nosema study.pdf
    295.5 KB · Views: 12
When I took my microscopy exam I had to take a sample of bees to test for Nosema. When the examiner looked down the scope he said he had never seen such a heavy infection, and could he have a sample for teaching purposes. He asked if the colony was healthy and I said yes. He suggested thymol, which I applied. They over wintered well and thrived the next year

Thanks
I have used Nosevit last 2 seasons and since using haven’t had any nosema problems. I used to have problems but since using none (& have v few spores I. Spring microscopy tests) @Goran also uses and recommends. Have a look at the video on Thornes website alongside the product Nozevit +, 50ml or 200ml or 500ml or 1000ml

Latest posts

Back