High mite count

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are ther Uk guidelines😇
Yes of course ther (sic) are.

From Api Bioxal instructions:
10. WITHDRAWAL PERIOD Honey: Zero days

Zero-day withdrawal refers to a label indication that allows entry of edible tissues/animal products into the food chain without regard to the time of last drug administration.
(VICH GL 56 (MRK) – RESIDUES IN HONEY June 2018)

Yes of course ther (sic) are.

Zero-day withdrawal refers to a label indication that allows entry of edible tissues/animal products into the food chain without regard to the time of last drug administration.

....when applied as per the instructions.

[/QUOTE]
clearly my sense of humour didn’t make it through. Vaping was being discussed and due to apiboxal clogging up many vape machines I know of few who actually use it. Subsequently there’s not approved guides for the generic product.

Hi
I’ve used Apivar all good, it’s the bridles cap I’m worried about. Last year after doing it I was as sick as a dog, I’ve really lost confidence. I was wondering if I could use Oxalic strips instead, also are ok to use with Rightcell frames.
Thanks

Hi
I’ve used Apivar all good, it’s the bridles cap I’m worried about. Last year after doing it I was as sick as a dog, I’ve really lost confidence. I was wondering if I could use Oxalic strips instead, also are ok to use with Rightcell frames.
Thanks
Not licensed. I’ve replied in another thread. Are they effective though?
How did you get sick?

This years update:

I have not been counting or tacking photos this year as I have been too busy.

But this autumns counts have been bad again - very bad.

So far I have vaped all 4 hives 5 times each and am still getting drops of about 500-1000 in each hive!

I just dont understand how 2 years in a row my counts can be so low in the spring, then so high by autumn.

My first round of vapes basically produced red boards, and as said numbers are still 500+, after 5 vapes!

I have recently learnt there is a University based research group that have an Apiary about 2 miles from mine. And have been told this group do veroha related research. Obviously after hearing this I am now concerned their activates could be proliferating verhoa in my area. I have no idea what they do, other than they have hives and do mite related research. So I only have my suspensions to go on.

But I think I should get in touch with them and have a chat. Even if they are not the source of the veroha, they may be able to offer me advice. Or could even be interested in my hives as they seem to ether attract or produce a lot of mites.

Unfortunately the way things are going for me right now I am not going to get round to it this side if Christmas, bt if I do get round to talking with them I will let you guys know how it gos.
Sorry to hear that Bobba, but it makes me feel slightly better that I'm not the only one. I have exactly the same problem of low counts through the year and then an explosion late on. This year mine have had MAQS, then 10 weeks Apivar with 6 OA vapes at 5d intervals. Now I've forked out for Varromed and am trying that (at least I can apply that multiple times within the regulations!). Daily counts are currently about 20 so they have fallen a lot since August, but I think that's still too high.
This year, again, despite my best efforts, the winter bees will have been produced with high varroa populations and I find it quite depressing.
My colonies have all derived from a single mongrel queen who has produced open-mated daughters. If she had the opposite of hygienic traits, that could have been passed on. Bobba, do you have colonies with purchased queens that have the very high mite loads?

Sorry to hear that Bobba, but it makes me feel slightly better that I'm not the only one. I have exactly the same problem of low counts through the year and then an explosion late on. This year mine have had MAQS, then 10 weeks Apivar with 6 OA vapes at 5d intervals. Now I've forked out for Varromed and am trying that (at least I can apply that multiple times within the regulations!). Daily counts are currently about 20 so they have fallen a lot since August, but I think that's still too high.
This year, again, despite my best efforts, the winter bees will have been produced with high varroa populations and I find it quite depressing.
My colonies have all derived from a single mongrel queen who has produced open-mated daughters. If she had the opposite of hygienic traits, that could have been passed on. Bobba, do you have colonies with purchased queens that have the very high mite loads?
Hi there, I have the same problem here,regardless of trying various treatments after honey harvest , I always have high mite count this time of year ( I suspect a non treating beekeeper in the locality)and for the last 3 years have treated with varromed (3 treatments at 6 day intervals) just as you propose and touch wood, have over wintered all colonies without loss.Im sure some will say this is over priced snake oil, but I can only say it works for me .
Good luck,
Dave.

No wonder you're struggling with mites if you're just using varromed, just one (expensive) step up from non treatment really

.Im sure some will say this is over priced snake oil, but I can only say it works for me .
But you've just said it doesn't work
Hi there, I have the same problem here,regardless of trying various treatments after honey harvest , I always have high mite count

No wonder you're struggling with mites if you're just using varromed, just one (expensive) step up from non treatment really

But you've just said it doesn't work
I'm not just using varromed, as I said I treat after honey removal,this year with apiguard ,last year was maqs but use varromed in oct. and am getting high mite drop numbers so how is this not working?

Hi
Thanks
Nothing stopping you.

I find it quite depressing.

Thanks for your kind words. I did not want to say, it but I find it depressing too.

As least its reassuring to know its not just my hives that suffer this cycle.

Its just depressing when you pull that board hoping to see some progress, but all you see is 100+ mites , and you have only pulled out 10cm of board :cry:.

Got 48h counts today on 2 hives (6th vape), both were about 200 ish, at a guess. So numbers are finally decreasing.

I have decided to upgrade my vaping equipment.

I can vape 2 hives in a session. then my battery is flat. That takes 35m. So 70m for all 4 hives in 2 sessions. If all 4 hives need 12 treatments, that's 14h of work in 24 inconvenient time slots.

I definitely think I need to update my kit. If you have more than 1 or 2 hives, forget about panning, throw your pan on the match stick pile and get a gas vape.

If I could vape all 4 hives in 20m, that's 4h work in 12 sessions, a considerable time saving.

So some kind of kit upgrade for next year is a must.

I can vape 2 hives in a session. then my battery is flat. That takes 35m.
I'd look at your system rather than your method of delivery, 35 minutes for two hives is ludicrous.
I use a battery commonly used for quad bikes, light and not that bulky, it can fire through 16 hives in one session and still not be fully drained, hives are done in pairs (two varrox) taking four and a half minutes per pair and then a few minutes faffing around setting the next pair up.

Yes only a couple of minutes per hive is needed. I wedge the hive tool under the crown board to make a small crack for a chimney effect and when the vapour starts coming out there it's done.

I'd look at your system rather than your method of delivery, 35 minutes for two hives is ludicrous.
I use a battery commonly used for quad bikes, light and not that bulky, it can fire through 16 hives in one session and still not be fully drained, hives are done in pairs (two varrox) taking four and a half minutes per pair and then a few minutes faffing around setting the next pair up.

I vape each hive for 4m, then let it sit for 6m. So 10m per hive + 10/15m faf time. Probably closer 30m.

I use one of these as a battery:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC
I thought about getting a bigger capacity or second battery.

But a second pan so I can vape 2 at once could speed things up.

So big thanks for the suggestion, double pan is worth considering.

This is the pan I use:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272526174849?hash=item3f73d36a81:g:TP4AAOSw44BYfx9lIt can sit directly on a correx board without melting it, witch for me is a very useful feature.

I could get one of these for less than a varrox:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32331961...jf8NANA1NyfBJA%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
So am thinking by the time I buy more pans/batterys, I may had well go gas gun and be done with it.

Regarding your treatment method, do you pull your vape out after 4m, reload and start the next hive right away?

You are right, as usual, my pan system could likely be improved.

I vape each hive for 4m, then let it sit for 6m. So 10m per hive + 10/15m faf time. Probably closer 30m.

This is the pan I use:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272526174849?hash=item3f73d36a81:g:TP4AAOSw44BYfx9lIt can sit directly on a correx board without melting it, witch for me is a very useful feature.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32331961...jf8NANA1NyfBJA%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
So am thinking by the time I buy more pans/batterys, I may had well go gas gun and be done with it.

Regarding your treatment method, do you pull your vape out after 4m, reload and start the next hive right away?

I just started a thread on the above Philip was saying they are illegal?

This is the pan I use:

I used to use a pan, and didn't need anything like 4 minutes to vaporise all of the OA, 2 minutes was sufficient. I actually tested it out in the open to see how long it took to vaporise a full dose.
I could also do a full course of 5 vape treatments on all my hives (albeit only 2 hives at the time) without needing to recharge the battery.
So it sounds like if you want to keep using the pan you might want to consider a different power source.

I switched to the GasVap in the end because I find it much quicker and easier to use than the pan vaporisers.

I vape each hive for 4m, then let it sit for 6m.

It doesn't need to 'sit' for any amount of time (you're not making a cake :)) I have steel plates which sit on a rail under the OMF, slide pan in, load the Varrox with about 2.5g OA, slide in over the pan a wedge a piece of foam in the gap, all my hives are in pairs so:
once two Varox are in place, connect both to your car battery for two minute 30 seconds
then disconnect the varrox and leave for a further 2 minutes -
the OA will start to sublimate at about 1min15 sec and will continue to sublimate after you turn off the power, the pan will be clear of OA 2 minutes after turning off the power.
You can then immediately remove the varox, dip in cold water to cool to a safe temperature,
you then only need a minute or so to switch the steel pans to the next two hives, refill the varox's (I have little plastic cosmetic pots all pre mearured ready to go) and I'm set for my next blast, so in total, two hives shouldn't take morer than six minutes which includes faffing around time/moving the battery etc.
and by the way - there is no need to fiddle around closing the entrances and shutting the bees in, the original instruction for that was when pushing the varox in from the entrance - you had to block then or risk a mad rush of bees at the entrance being cooked by the hot varrox.

Latest posts

Back