High amount of propolis suddenly? Anyone the same?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickndoris

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After going through the hives the last couple of days I have noticed that bees that normally don't stick things together are suddenly in overdrive to gum everything they can up! Almost all the hives are doing it. Might it be the time of year or the weather we have? Are trees extra sappy? Maybe they know that even worse weather is on the way?

Has anyone else suddenly got this happening? It's all red in colour if that might mean anything.

R

Has the recent weather prompted a bit more waterproofing and draughtproofing?

We've noticed the same in our three hives. No propolis all season and now suddenly in the last week or two everything is gummed up.

I thought it was one of the hives comming from a swam that they were in glue it down mode. I put a mesh screen over the top of the bars to collect it. Only the big T are selling from what I can see.

Same here.
Examined at the weekend. Nothing. Could have done it without the hive tool.
Today, crownboard cemented to the broodbox.

Yes - the same for me, colonies that had little propolis in former years now use it in great quantity in their hives.

Another one with a yes. I'd be interested if anyone has an explanation.

As this is our first full year I haven't seen it before, does it always happen at this time of year (ish)?

Simon

Many seem to have applied the winter frame end glue. Cause of 2/3 of stings...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

It's a no from me, but mine tend not to be heavy on using it.

As said if there is an increase it is probably due to the wet.

PH

I noticed ours were doing this a week or so ago. When I looked into 2 hives yesterday it was back to normal.

A week or so ago it was really sticky, I could see lots of bees working on it, plus even saw a few bees with propolis in their baskets - which I would only otherwise see once in a blue moon.

From observing my own stocks and those belonging to friends, propolis gathering for some colonies is a continual thing throughout the active season but for others, the propolis drive tends to start in August but as with other posters, I am seeing it in stocks now.

Lots of rain = lots of tree sap.

Same time every year. Some say that they are getting it from the scots pines

Latest posts

Back