Hi there:)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bussinspain

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there folks. I am looking for information about keeping a few bees for personal use. We have about 30 almond trees, 60 odd olive trees, a veggie patch and lots of flowers/weeds. Also we have miles and miles of mountains and valleys full of wild flowers and herbs around our house. We both love honey:) We live about 1 hours drive inland from the coast of Costa Blanca in the Alicante province. I have just ordered a couple of books to try and start to learn all I can before embarking on my next great adventure! I just need help sorting the grain from the chaff please. Any advice will be gratefully received.

:welcome: to the forum and good luck on your beekeping venture. My advice is read as much as you can go on a corse then read lots more, the forum is an exalent place to lern much or just have a chatt :seeya:

Hi Bussinspain, well it sounds to me like you have a great place for keeping bees for a start so that's one obstacle out the way. I would say you need to look at what hives people use over there so that it's easy to get hold of stuff as and when you need it. Also try and find someone else who keeps bees near you or the local bee keeping association. They will be able to give you no end of advice for keeping bees where you are and a helping hand when needed. Also just read loads from different people and sources. I have found that there are many different ways to get the same results so its a case of pick what's best for your situation and keep it simple. Other than that just chat about what you're doing and have learnt to beeks and the rest is a learn as you go along thing. This is going to be my first year of having bees so I'm sure I'll make mistakes. I've done nothing but read anything on bees in the evenings and whenever I've had a chance I've gone to an apiary to help out and get hands on experience. Hope you get stuck in and enjoy it. Chris

:welcome:
It probably won't stop at "a few bees..."
:D

As above......you can't just keep a few bees. A hive of bees is a hive of bees and that can amount to 60000. I only say this because that's how I started, wanting to keep just a few bees! A few hives now......that's a different matter. Borrow a suit and go to an apiary...just to see what a few bees feels like and then make a decision! Welcome and keep us in touch......
E

Hi bussinspain. Welcome.
I bought a Practical Mannual of Beekeeping by David Cramp last year. He kept bees commercially in Spain and makes some interesting comments about it. You might find it interesting.
We have a place in Murcia, must be about two hours south from you I guess that we live in during the winter. Our plan is to spend more time here over the next few years and I have toyed with the idea of having a hive when we can. We have lots of orange and lemon orchards and at the moment the fields are awash with wild flowers but I do wonder how they would cope in July August?
Once again welcome to the forum.
Andy

What happened to NORMAN when you need him ?.
He keeps bees in Spain and in Sweden and commutes between the two!
VM

Latest posts

Back