Hi,Glue for hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinrrogers67

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
My thoughts are turning to building the hives I bought in Th**es sale.

I am not sure what glue to use on the joints.

Is ordinary PVA white wood glue be ok?

Thanks

As long as it is waterproof, yes. Don't use the other stuff or your hive will end up in a pile, unless you are pinning as well. :)

I use E**-ST*k Weatherproof wood adhesive, the one in the Blue plastic bottle which has a twist and seal red top (stronger than the wood itself) I should point out that " other brands are available", the key is it should be waterproof/ weatherproof. :) Chris

I have tried all the above at some time I think but by far the best has been Gripfill Liquid PU Adhesive by Laybond Products Ltd, which I get fromthe local timber merchant, as it is OK for every purpose inside and out. The beauty of it is that it foams to fill any joint that is not absolutlely tight and does away with any nailing. Beware - wear Marigolds or similar as it's a sod to get off hands and fingers unless you can wait a week or so.

most of the hivemakers use evostik blue v strong and waterproof

I use E**-ST*k Weatherproof wood adhesive, the one in the Blue plastic bottle which has a twist and seal red top (stronger than the wood itself) I should point out that " other brands are available", the key is it should be waterproof/ weatherproof. :) Chris

:iagree:
I have been using this for the last few months and found it to be the best.

I use Bison waterproof glue and I'm very satisfied with the results after many years.

arfurmo with the gripfil products they give of a lot of fumes not good for bees

arfurmo with the gripfil products they give of a lot of fumes not good for bees

So don't give it to the bees!!! It's meant to be used on joints and if left to weather cannot possible affect the poor little mites. What planet are you on? Scaremongering again. Bah. Use your loaf for goodness sake.

So don't give it to the bees!!! It's meant to be used on joints and if left to weather cannot possible affect the poor little mites. What planet are you on? Scaremongering again. Bah. Use your loaf for goodness sake.

:iagree:

I use fast setting foaming glue on all six filled-with-bees hives and so far the colonies have survived for two years..

After all, if it gave off cyanide based vapour for any length of time, most joinery products - especially kitchens - would kill humans..

The only thing likely to kill humans in our kitchen is my cooking..:)

anyone know if epoxy reson is okay for bees when set?

arfermo what you on about scaremongering AGAIN and what PLANET you on not scare mongering again just giving an opinon after using those products for a long time on the building trade i am not in the habit of scaremongering as for being on a different planet i think you should get of your BIG HIGH HORSE and get back on this planet

Water proof PVA, a good quality one. Joints on any machine made hive such as the ones you have will be a good fit. Its simple!!!!.not worthy

Why reinvent the wheel all?

White exterior wood glue from a good brand works very well indeed.

KISS

PH

Should be OK if set. The hardener has some nasty gene altering side effects on humans - but only in unset form...

Thanks Madasafish, that is what I had assumed but nice to have it confirmed elsewhere before I use it.

Nic,

I've used both Epoxy and PU in many applications for some time. When gluing wood for hives, PU glue is a far better product. Epoxy is pretty nasty stuff before curing, and doesn't like the moisture content of wood.

LOL not being used for wood hive bodies, I use external PVC from EVOSTIK for that as I have done for decades, it is for another bee related job / idea.

Latest posts

Back