Hi from South Somerset

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

maggiescrase123 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I am a new beekeeper who completed a practical course 2 years ago just before Covid entered our lives. With my ambitions delayed I redid the course this year and now attending practical session at my local association and have set up a small apiary (A Hyde Hives Long hive - two hives - one in reserve) in the field adjacent to my garden. Through the association I was introduced to an experienced local beekeeper who was downsizing her apiary and purchased a small colony from her. Together we transferred the colony into the first hive last Sunday with my first solo inspection this coming Sunday. I am now wondering and worrying about how to manage and prevent swarming - reading everything I can but realise how much practical knowledge I lack. I think the answer is to go with a nucleus hive although the beekeeper who helped thought I could just use my spare hive. Won't know where I am till this Sunday morning inspection, definitely need advice!

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Welcome to the forum.
Post your questions in the beginners section. You’ll get lots of help there.
Hopefully a small colony shouldn’t be making swarm preps just yet so you should be able to get a little more comfortable with your new bees before you have to do any manipulation.
Oh and the Hyde hives are works of art aren’t they?
I have a cedar barn owl box they made me. Beautiful

Latest posts