Hi from Evesham

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieran

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I don't keep bees although I'm sure there are a few hives nearby.

I've joined here as I would like to ask a question of you knowledgeable folk.

This evening, about 5:30, there was a huge flying wasp/hornet right outside our patio door. Both my son and wife saw it as well and all 3 of us would say it was at least 2" in length, probably more like 2.5". Orangy yellowish in colour.

I've seen large wasps before and possibly the European hornet before, but nothing ever this size.
I wouldn't go outside while it was there.

Could it be a queen or another species of wasp or hornet?

My concern was is it going to be a threat to the local hives?

Kieran

Queen hornet is possible although looking at info about hornets here https://www.nonnativespecies.org/assets/Uploads/ID_Vespa_velutina_Asian_Hornet_5.0-1.pdf a wood wasp is more similar in size.
I have hives near Evesham and disturbed what I assume was a queen European hornet whilst checking my hives 2-3 weeks ago that was smaller to the one you describe. They do buzz loudly compared to bees/wasps. European hornets happily co-exist with bees, a strong healthy hive wouldn't have any problems with them.

Hiya, thanks for the info. Don't think it was a wood wasp, it was more orange/yellow with distinct blackish bandings.

Like this? Queens do appear huge.

Thank you. That could well be what we saw.

My son said it was so big it would need to contact the local aircraft control tower to request landing :)

Latest posts

Back