Hi From Buckinghamshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriswb

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello
Just joined your forum today. I am a 'volunteer' Bee Keeper for the National Trust and have been keeping Bees for the past 11 years with a team of 8 other Bee Keepers.

Hi Chris and welcome.
Interesting job. Are you all volunteers?

Can you put your location into your profile please, by the way.

Hi Never heard of a volunteer beekeeper before…What do you do.

About 15 years ago I asked NT if I could place a couple of hives on the heather in August at Dunwich Heath on the Suffolk coast. They declined because of 'disruption to nesting birds'. I toured around and found a secret site just outside the fence of the adjacent Westleton Heath. I've used it, undiscovered, most years ever since!
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dunwich-heath-and-beach

Hello
Just joined your forum today. I am a 'volunteer' Bee Keeper for the National Trust and have been keeping Bees for the past 11 years with a team of 8 other Bee Keepers.
Every time I go to NT I envy those lime avenues. I would offer to put my bees on them if they were closer!

Hi Never heard of a volunteer beekeeper before…What do you do.
We set up the project from scratch.11 years ago with some money bequeathed to the NT for the purchase of a Bee Hive. We are trained Bee Keepers,(8) some also have their own hives, but not all. The focus of the Project is to Educate visitors to the NT site, about Bees their habitat and the ecology. We hold open days (meet the bee keeper)where talks are given demo hives are explained etc. Our focus is on education , good husbandry and this year we will be holding our 2nd 'mini bee keeper visits', we invite a specific no of children ( and adult) to come into the apiary and watch an inspection. in full Bee suits etc. very successful.

About 15 years ago I asked NT if I could place a couple of hives on the heather in August at Dunwich Heath on the Suffolk coast. They declined because of 'disruption to nesting birds'. I toured around and found a secret site just outside the fence of the adjacent Westleton Heath. I've used it, undiscovered, most years ever since!
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dunwich-heath-and-beach
Well done ! The NT have very strict guidelines and each site is different, we have had our battles over the years.

Westleton Heath is an NNR managed by Natural England. lovely spot. Happy to check if Dunwich would allow a few hives ... pretty sure ther have been some there. Dunwich is a very busy site nowadays so that might be an issue too. Permission is very much down to local managers some are happy to help. there is usually an agreement to sign with T&Cs (as should any landowner ask for). i have one and have kept up to six hives on one NT site no problem. I also know one NE employee who keeps bees on an NNR so it is possible ;) 🐝 🐝 🐝

Thanks. Yes, I am aware that Westleton Heath is under different management. Meanwhile I'm perfectly happy with my non-official site - no need for T&Cs etc, etc, etc!

Latest posts

Back