Hi from a wannabe newbie in Bolton

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoggj2000

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone, been lurking in the background for a while absorbing info but recently had the chance to use the beekeeping course voucher that my wife got me for Christmas. Had a great time at the bee centre in Chorley and am itching to actually get started. Looking around for options for an apiary at the moment and hoping to get some practice helping other keepers out until I can save up the capital to get my first hive(s).

Hoggj2000

Hi Hogg the cost of getting set up can be substantial. Look at seconds hives on sale at various times through the year, they would be the best bet. It’s better to start with some bees from a known source but you wouldn’t be the first to start with a swarm. Local associations will have a list of collectors, the local police is a good bet. Joining a local association will also give you access to an extractor if you can’t pick 1 up cheaply second hand. Ian

Thanks Ian, Yep, was hoping to get a hive and other essentials at one of the shows with associated discount but now keeping an eye out for sales. Thinking of making a couple of bait hives just on the off chance a swarm passes. Would like to get a bit more hands on practice before buying some bees. I certainly can not get any until I work out where to physically keep them.

Thanks Ian, Yep, was hoping to get a hive and other essentials at one of the shows with associated discount but now keeping an eye out for sales. Thinking of making a couple of bait hives just on the off chance a swarm passes. Would like to get a bit more hands on practice before buying some bees. I certainly can not get any until I work out where to physically keep them.

Welcome,

Joining your local association (usually very cheap as a non-beekeeping member) is a good idea - it may give you access to a beekeeper needing assistance - perhaps willing to let you manage a hive in their apiary ? Associations often have schemes to allocate swarms to new beekeepers and having a network of people on hand locally to assist when it all goes belly up is useful.

For a variety of reasons I was involved with bees for a couple of seasons before I finally got my own bees - it stood me in good stead as it's a very steep learning curve. You think you know enough to get started only up to the point where you get your own bees and you find they often have decidedly different ideas about what they are going to do !

Hi Hoggj2000,

I am still a noob having just started my 2nd full season.

I just started on my own by ordering some bees and kit, I had planned to do a coarse but C19! So I ended up going it alone, but fortunately some wonderful people on this forum come to the rescue and have helped me along.

So it is possible to dive right in at the deep end, but not something I would recommend.

The start up costs kicked me in the a%$e. There are so many niggle little things you find you will need.

Also be prepared to have somewhere to store kit. I am in a 3 bed terrace with 2 kids, so a lot of my kit ends up in the attic which is not ideal.

Finlay my biggest tip, would be to get your kit in the winter sales. Ask if you are not sure the best shops or times to buy.

Hi Hoggj2000,

I am still a noob having just started my 2nd full season.

I just started on my own by ordering some bees and kit, I had planned to do a coarse but C19! So I ended up going it alone, but fortunately some wonderful people on this forum come to the rescue and have helped me along.

So it is possible to dive right in at the deep end, but not something I would recommend.

The start up costs kicked me in the a%$e. There are so many niggle little things you find you will need.

Also be prepared to have somewhere to store kit. I am in a 3 bed terrace with 2 kids, so a lot of my kit ends up in the attic which is not ideal.

Finlay my biggest tip, would be to get your kit in the winter sales. Ask if you are not sure the best shops or times to buy.
Thanks for the suggestions Bobba, I am certainly going to take my time and not rush into getting anything until I am really ready (even if I really want to get going :) ). Going to try to tag along with somebody for a while to get some experience first so may be looking at my own hive(s) next year.

Hoggj2000

Thanks for the suggestions Bobba, I am certainly going to take my time and not rush into getting anything until I am really ready (even if I really want to get going :) ). Going to try to tag along with somebody for a while to get some experience first so may be looking at my own hive(s) next year.

Hoggj2000

Np.

The other thing I did which worked out quite well was getting my bees late in the season. I did not get any honey my first year, so did not have to worry about extracting or the kit that goes with it. So I could split a lot of the start up costs over 2 seasons. I know its probably best to start out early in the year, but you can start later in the season.

So if you get the opportunity to get some bees late in the year, you can overwinter them and be ready to go next season. Also bees are usually cheaper late in the season.

Bee keeping is a roller coaster, it has its ups and downs. So be prepared to take the good with the bad.

Anyway I hope it all goes well for you.

Hi hoggj2000, if you look at www.dave-cushman.net you will find that there are measurements and diagrams for making the various hive parts. If you have some basic tools you can make your own hive. Some friends of mine actually made their hive from wood taken from an old pallet, so it doesn’t have to cost the earth.

Hoggj2000
You have the right idea but you really must join your local BKA as that is where you will get all the local advice and practical help that you may/will need along the way. Most important get a GOOD bee-suit, good wellies before you do anything else. From there you can get your own bees and stuff (LOCAL BEES PREFERABLY) as well as any worthwhile (some isn't) spare kit from other members - members in my BKA sell via the Monthly Newsletter. We also have a large club apiary where newbies can start a hive with new equipment which can be purchased and taken 'home' as and when they are deemed to be competent to manage things alone, etc ,etc, etc. A good place to buy beekeeping equipment from is Wynne Jones Beekeeping (Google for it). Friendly family run business with a comprehensive website. Keep asking ..........................................................too.

:welcome:

Best thing you can do is to join local Association and see bees in action - assuming they have a training apiary (most do.. reopening after Covid in June)

:eek: Being stung by thousands of flying insects puts some newbies off - I can't imagine why

And don't buy things in advance unless you REALLY need them.. Sales start in January and then March.. that is the cheapest time to buy IF you know exactly what you want. (If you don't you will buy and regret later) A written down plan helps.

As said above, DIY - simple - can save you substantial sums of money. (And give satisfaction of a bodge job well done.)

Latest posts

Back