Hi does anyone own and use a Konigin extractor.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a 12 frame radial for 2 years. A brilliant bit of kit, well built and efficient. I have had problems with the programmer shorting due to a dodgy spiking supply but Thornes replaced each one until I sussed the problem.
I certainly recommend them.

I've had a 12 frame radial for 2 years. A brilliant bit of kit, well built and efficient. I have had problems with the programmer shorting due to a dodgy spiking supply but Thornes replaced each one until I sussed the problem.
I certainly recommend them.
Thanks for the feedback, was thinking of getting the 9 frame extractor which is big enough for me at the moment.

I've a twelve frame. It's well build and simple to use. The drawback is that it's difficult to store. With hindsight I'd have gone for a nine frame.

I've a twelve frame. It's well build and simple to use. The drawback is that it's difficult to store. With hindsight I'd have gone for a nine frame.
The 12 frame is 150mm wider so getting it through doors can be a problem if you have to pack it away after every extraction.
The reason I bought mine is that I wanted to be able to extract BS brood frames radially which the 9 frame can't do. (Only 3 tangentially with extra screens)
If you have the room the 12 frame is a much better buy than the 9.

thanks for all the replies certainly given me food for thought, my only problem is we live in a cottage and so the doorways are always a squeeze. I would like a 12 frame but think I will have to settle for the 9.
thanks again.

I was looking at Konigin only yesterday. The 'radial circumference' could be a problem here though. Last year I processed around 300 frames, using a four frame hand-cranked extractor, working in a small kitchen. :willy_nilly:
This year the emphasis will be on bee-production. However, I'm still expecting as much, if not more honey, weather permitting. After all, I have customers who will still expect their honey!
I don't want to go through even more work this season on that front, so I've been looking at making things more 'efficient!' A nine framer would be fine, I think. I'm not actually bothered whether it's manual or not.

@banwee40 I've got a 20 frame Radial I got from Thornes last summer and I would recommend it. Post 56 in the link were my thoughts and comments after using it Konigin Machines

If you search for Konigin it will bring up the threads where their equipment is talked about.

Got a 60 frame konigin and it's great.

Old castle farm hives sell konigin if your that way on.

Just ordered the electric 12 frame extractor from Old Castle Farm Hives on Thursday. It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.
I have to say, it would have been useful if one or two UK users could have posted filmed reviews on YouTube. There really isn’t much out there to assist prospective purchasers with their decision making process.

Just ordered the electric 12 frame extractor from Old Castle Farm Hives on Thursday. It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.
I have to say, it would have been useful if one or two UK users could have posted filmed reviews on YouTube. There really isn’t much out there to assist prospective purchasers with their decision making process.
I expect to see a video review from you this time next year then! 😂

Looking back, I wish I had bought a 20 frame instead of a 12 - if only for the convenience of being able to extract two complete supers in one go.

Looking back, I wish I had bought a 20 frame instead of a 12 - if only for the convenience of being able to extract two complete supers in one go.
The problem with the Konigin is its limited honey capacity! The frame cage is over engineered with lots of laser cut sharp edges, making cleaning difficult and a steady supply of sticking plasters.
plenty of power in the motor which is very controllable.

The problem with the Konigin is its limited honey capacity! The frame cage is over engineered with lots of laser cut sharp edges, making cleaning difficult and a steady supply of sticking plasters.
I've not found excessively sharp edges on mine. Never needed a sticking plaster since I've had it! Though I do clean at end of season with a hose.

Not found capacity to be a problem either (probably because my previous extractor was a 3 frame plastic tangential). Although I do leave the gate open while spinning which some people don't like to do.

I contemplated the 9 frame as my supers are in nines but in the end went for the 12 frame. So glad I did as the ability to do brood frames has been a godsend.

I've not found excessively sharp edges on mine. Never needed a sticking plaster since I've had it! Though I do clean at end of season with a hose.

Not found capacity to be a problem either (probably because my previous extractor was a 3 frame plastic tangential). Although I do leave the gate open while spinning which some people don't like to do.

I contemplated the 9 frame as my supers are in nines but in the end went for the 12 frame. So glad I did as the ability to do brood frames has been a godsend.
I agree on all three points!

I have the 12 frame radial and one of its selling points for me was it came with grills to put in so that it can be spun tangentially.

There great for the money, I didn’t find any abundance of sharp edges but certainly think honey capacity is small in comparison to say Thomas machines.

Yes ! The capacity. . This has been sacrificed to accommodate the bottom bearings need to be clear of the honey . The suggestion to leave the honey valve open would be okay in an ideal world with a perfectly balanced load .

The suggestion to leave the honey valve open would be okay in an ideal world with a perfectly balanced load .
Extractors are expensive. Daft not to make sure the load is balanced. How difficult is it to stop the extractor and rejiggle a few frames?

Someone I knew was always throwing herself on top of the extractor to stop it dancing around the kitchen. Didn't do the bearings much good and she got rid of it to an unsuspecting beginner a couple of years later. 🙄

Latest posts

Back