Hi All

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WmSheep

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all

Greetings from East Lancs.

I am Mark, and have recently become interested in bee keeping.

Don't know what else to put.

It is possible to get treatment for that..... :)

Just joking. Welcome!
Beekeeping is probably not what you might be expecting. Utterly fascinating, absorbing and addictive. Also frustrating, worrying and expensive, although sales of honey will help offset costs.
Lots of advice available here, but I would join a local association and complete a beginners course before getting your first bees. Also read some good books, eg.
Haynes Bee Manual
Guide to Bees and Honey - Hooper
The BBKA Guide to Beekeeping

Beware YouTube videos. However one channel worth viewing is
The Norfolk Honey Company

Gook luck.

:welcome:

Beekeeping is addictive.

Hi all

Don't know what else to put.
Have you progressed beyond being interested to actually getting up close and personal with bees? I've got someone who expressed a similar interest coming tomorrow to attend a hive inspection (masked and subject to weather). Not everyone copes with being surrounded or sat upon by bees so its always a good start 🤔

Have you progressed beyond being interested to actually getting up close and personal with bees? I've got someone who expressed a similar interest coming tomorrow to attend a hive inspection (masked and subject to weather). Not everyone copes with being surrounded or sat upon by bees so its always a good start 🤔
I had a woman in the village who had found an old hive in some woods in her 40 acre estate and asked me to mentor her as she's very much into "natural things" . We rehived them out of a broken, rotten National and started doing some inspections. After about 3 weeks and not insignificant investment in equipment and an very expensive "ethically sourced" Bee suit she got stung!
She's now decided she will just leave them be and let them get on with it as " that's the natural way" 😂

Edit, I had a call yesterday to say she's now found another WBC hive in another part of the estate with bees in it. (They have only lived in this house for 4 years!)

Last edited:
Have a taster at your local Beekeeping Association (Google finds them) to get the flavour and then make your mind up. Has been the only hobby I have ever had that pays for itself in cash as well as ongoing interest.

Oh dear :eek:.
Looks like Mark has made the fatal error of being infected by the beekeeping bug, your life is no longer yours only. Better let the Mrs. know you may be gone some time.
Welcome to the fold you have joined a knowledgeable community on here.

I wonder how long it will be before you hear 'The bees don't read the books' and 'If you ask 2 beekeepers the same question, you'll get 3 different answers'. Once you are a beekeeper, You will also hear very many bee puns from non beekeepers. You might need a new shed next year and probably start thinking about getting an estate car . In the meantime, join Ormskirk & Croston BBKA

Hi all.

Cheers for the welcome.

Luckily, I live just a mile or so from the East Lancs Beekeepers Association apiary, so hopefully when things start up again I will be able to get some tuition/help from them.
Yes, at the moment I am reading like there is no tomorrow with regards to the subject of bees.

At the moment, small steps, trying to figure things out

Mark

Oh, was talking to the neighbour this evening, and I mentioned about the possibility (OK, probability) of getting at least one hive this/next year - her response was "Yeah, no problems, but I get free honey".

I can live with that!!

Back to the books & research.

Oh, was talking to the neighbour this evening, and I mentioned about the possibility (OK, probability) of getting at least one hive this/next year - her response was "Yeah, no problems, but I get free honey".

I can live with that!!

Back to the books & research.
Ouch!
Do lots of research and have an out apiary in mind just in case. Better keep good neighbours than bees

Ouch!
Do lots of research and have an out apiary in mind just in case. Better keep good neighbours than bees

No, not ouch at all - she was totally for it. And for the price of a couple of jars of honey a year, no problem.

And as for an "Out Apiary", I am already thinking of something that would totally change things at work.

No, not ouch at all - she was totally for it. And for the price of a couple of jars of honey a year, no problem.

And as for an "Out Apiary", I am already thinking of something that would totally change things at work.
It’s great keeping bees in the garden. I have a “wild” colony in a box up in a tree and last year we stupidly left one of our bait hives on the potting shed roof. But I have no neighbours.
The problem arises when your neighbour or children or visitors are disturbed by the bees. That doesn’t necessarily mean getting stung. Then you have to have somewhere to move them to keep the peace.

Latest posts

Back