Hi all - Queen Cells + Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
My first year beekeeping & my first post.
In a routine inspection I found a sealed QC (with queen present), so applied the pagden method. Removed all QC's except the one sealed. Moved hive with the QC to the left. Kept queen + her frame in new brood box on original site.

Checked 3 weeks later and in the inspection found
3 emerged QC's and 2 sealed QC's. Couldn't spot the queen or any eggs. They also swarmed just after inspection.

How can additional sealed QC's be possible?
Could queen have mated, layed eggs and swarmed?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all
In a routine inspection I found a sealed QC (with queen present), so applied the pagden method. Removed all QC's except the one sealed. Moved hive with the QC to the left. Kept queen + her frame in new brood box on original site.

3 emerged QC's and 2 sealed QC's. Couldn't spot the queen or any eggs. They also swarmed just after inspection.

Thanks!

It is unclear which box you are saying you found QCs in 3 weeks later, and also which box "also swarmed just after inspection."

If you are talking about the box with the QC, the answer is that the bees will have made lots of additional emergency queen cells when you separated them off away from their queen. This allows the first virgin out of the capped cell to swarm off, leaving plentiful queen cells behind.

If you are talking about the box on the original site, with the queen, they often retain their swarm fever anyway, and may try to build swarm cells

Last edited:
W
Hi all

Thanks!
When you move the parent colony aside and remove the queen the bees will make emergency queen cells. You need to go back in a week to remove them.
Also best leave an open queen cell. Then at least you know it has a larva in it and when your new queen will emerge.
It’s also good practice to check the AS ( where the old queen is) 5/6 days later too.

moody I'm only just a year ahead, still get overwhelmed at times, in fact more so this year :rolleyes: .

Made a massive mistake earlier in the year when I panicked and took all the queen cells down. Lesson learnt there too.
I'm now much more chilled [probably only till the next crisis] but all thanks to the incredibly knowledgeable people here.
Take your time, and when stuck, stop for a cuppa, have a think, check in here, search first for a solution, and if still unsure, ask in the beginners section. Knowledge is power and all that ...... plus the banter always lightens the mood.

Then go back , apply what you've learnt , and watch the bees right your wrongs. They've been doing it for millions of years, and despite our bumblings and sometimes downright dreadful decisions they will usually put the mess back together.

Need someone to remind me to come back and read this when I make my next hasty decision :laughing-smiley-004

moody I'm only just a year ahead, still get overwhelmed at times, in fact more so this year :rolleyes: .

Made a massive mistake earlier in the year when I panicked and took all the queen cells down. Lesson learnt there too.
I'm now much more chilled [probably only till the next crisis] but all thanks to the incredibly knowledgeable people here.
Take your time, and when stuck, stop for a cuppa, have a think, check in here, search first for a solution, and if still unsure, ask in the beginners section. Knowledge is power and all that ...... plus the banter always lightens the mood.

Then go back , apply what you've learnt , and watch the bees right your wrongs. They've been doing it for millions of years, and despite our bumblings and sometimes downright dreadful decisions they will usually put the mess back together.

Need someone to remind me to come back and read this when I make my next hasty decision :laughing-smiley-004

Thanks! It's such a relief talking it out with someone and getting advice. This is a great forum with lovely people helping each other out.

Latest posts

Back