Helping an three-year old, neglected Warre Colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntAfrica

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

I have just inherited a Warre hive with a colony that has been undisturbed for three years. It has two supers and the usual quilt, roof etc. Both supers are filled with comb and most of the cells are being used for eggs, honey or pollen.

The bees seem in good shape generally. However, none of the comb has been removed during those three years. The comb is starting to look very dark. I plan to adding another super immediately so the colony can expand. I would like to remove the old comb as I understand that old comb can create problems.

Can anyone tell me how quickly I should remove the old comb and should I replace a whole super at a time?

Thanking replies in advance,

Anthony

I would not be in a rush to replace the old comb at present .. they will have a job to replace it and build up more stores for winter .. by all means give them some more space and see what they do with it but I'd leave it until spring when the early flows start and then start swapping the old comb out - there's nothing wrong with old comb - it's only some beekeepers who seem obsessed with renewing comb every year. I have some brood frames that are over 6 years old and still happily being used by the bees with no obvious problems.

I would not be in a rush to replace the old comb at present .. they will have a job to replace it and build up more stores for winter .. by all means give them some more space and see what they do with it but I'd leave it until spring when the early flows start and then start swapping the old comb out - there's nothing wrong with old comb - it's only some beekeepers who seem obsessed with renewing comb every year. I have some brood frames that are over 6 years old and still happily being used by the bees with no obvious problems.
:iagree:
Bit late now as Phil says. Nothing wrong with old comb, if there was, the bees would get rid of it.
There are some Warreiors on here who may be able to advise (never had much to do with the things myself.)
If you think they need more space then it's better you nadir a new box (put it right at the bottom) for the bees to work down into rather than super it.
I would say wait until spring and start sorting the lot out then - you have the witer to read up on how to manage the mad monk's hive 😁

Latest posts

Back