Help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Could anybody help me got new bees 2 weeks 10 frames all full of bees and brood problem is they were badly spaced and when I changed to my hive had trouble getting them in so as not to squash the bees, left them 5 days and they built all between the frames and over the top, have been told to put second brood box on top without queen excluder and when the queen goes up put a queen excluder on, only trouble is thev,e drawn the comb out but filled about half them with stores and queen has not come up, so do I put the queen excluder back and treat as a super or wait until the queen dose come up

you could shake all the bees and queen into the new box then move all the frames in the original box to their correct positioning , maybe even cutting the bulging bits to the correct thickness but not worrying too much if you have to press the faces together as when you put it back over the bees they will sort it out quite quickly if their strong enough

Your post does not make clear how much interference there is from the brace comb to the original frames. Depending on your confidence find the frame with the queen on, trim it carefully and place it and her in the new box (presumbaly this has already been filled with fresh foundation?). Stacking > Old box . QE . New box (with queen on brood). crown etc
The queen/brood combination will attract house bees up, the queen should be protected from rejection because on brood and in a 'location' the workers to expect to find her in. Your migration to the queens location should then progress naturally.
Depends on you finding the queen and you being happy to move her of course. Good luck. R

Thanks Rosti
The gap between frames is almost filled with comb but just enough room for workers get up through odd hole they have alomost drawn all the frames so will look tonight or tomorrow depend on wheather and try your idea it sounds good, I will feel a lot better if I can get the queen up,
many thanks Will

Thanks Rosti
The gap between frames is almost filled with comb but just enough room for workers get up through odd hole they have alomost drawn all the frames so will look tonight or tomorrow depend on wheather and try your idea it sounds good, I will feel a lot better if I can get the queen up,
many thanks Will

it is problalbe all drone brood in the brace comb, just cut it all off

Will, since you have found the queen (easily?) I assume she was marked.
Dont do what I did last year and sit back because you can find her!
Get hold of a crown of thorns, a queen marker of your choice and start practice marking on drones. When you need to do it for real (hopefully not until next year) you'll have the confidence that I didn't have. R

Back