Help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
just put together a thornes budget brood box, as per there instructions.....
should the frames sit proud of the side of the brood box?:confused:
i have glued and nailed it so there is no going back!

The frames should be level with the top of the box.
There should be a bee space at the side of each frame.
what seems like extra space will look different when the bees cover everything with propolis.

Check out dave Cushman.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/nat.html

Last edited:
just re read the useless thornes instructions..........

they said to make a mark 7/16th down from top of box then i thought i had to line up the inner side timbers to this mark but know it was the top of the runners!!!!

it all glued now so going to wait for it to all dry then get the chissel out then glue thin strip on the bottom, should sort it..

just glad it was only the brood box and not the supers as well.
:laughing-smiley-014

just put together a thornes budget brood box, as per there instructions.....
should the frames sit proud of the side of the brood box?:confused:
i have glued and nailed it so there is no going back!

How good are your woodworking skills? I did something similar with a BB and I was able to cut down the side panels in situ with a router. You need to make a jig with two bits of wood clamped to the back and front of the box and two fixed to them parallel with the side you want to cut. Thus making a groove for the cutter and a platform for the router so it's not waving around in the air. Or a sharp chisel and take your time....

Mike.

Just take the runners out. They're only there to help you not to squash bees with the lugs. Or just chisel out an extra six mm gap. You don't need to glue any strips on.

JC.

all sorted now thanks everyone........ i ended up cutting with a tennon saw to the right level then chiselled the wood off. as for the under side being short i filled that out with some strip wood from B+Q. finished the hive this afternoon just had time to get two coats of cuprinol on before dark.
:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back