Help. Woodpeckers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is difficult to choose between woodpecker and rodent damage, in your case I would favour rodent.

Wrap the hive in black plastic will stop woodpecker damage but small mesh wire netting will stop both pests.

Hope this helps, good luck. :cheers2: Mike

A drunk woodpecker.

His aim is as bad as most blokes after too much cider.

Actually it might be a rat. Every single woodpecker hole in my boxes has gone for the hand-hold i.e. the thinnest bit. I've only had rats go through the floor. Not sure about yours though.
Wire netting will stop woodpeckers and probably deters rats enough.
My own preference is just to move to a safer winter apiary.

Regards
Chris

Yes I agree, Woodpeckers usually go for the handholds on hives and they always seem to manage to get through close to the brood. I cover my hives with old cherry nets, just as good as wire netting and take up less room than wire netting when they are taken off in the spring.

Regards Mike

The hole in the board about 60mm away from the side indicates it is likely a 'pecker, to me. I suspect your cluster is this corner? It should be be easily ascertained by checking for cappings. Probable that a few flying bees attracted said attacker, rat-a-tat on the hive attracted a few more bees to come and get eaten, A search on the forum should yield enough info to deter them.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
You will need to take action next winter as once a woodpecker learns how to attack the hive's they will continue to do so.

Back