Help with oxalic acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveoneflowers

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there, I would like to vape my hives with oxalic acid. How can I do this effectively without great expense. I have had a look on the net and found a couple of home made gadgets, but the one fella burnt the front of his hive?????. Any help would be appreciated. :sos:

Personally going to try multiple 5ml syringes this year. Filled ready to go before I open each hive. Cost was £2 for 5.

Hi there, I would like to vape my hives with oxalic acid. How can I do this effectively without great expense. I have had a look on the net and found a couple of home made gadgets, but the one fella burnt the front of his hive?????. Any help would be appreciated. :sos:

VAPE !​
.... a new term to add to the ever increasing Great Book of Beekeepering terminology

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Trikling now added to the appendix!

VAPE !​
.... a new term to add to the ever increasing Great Book of Beekeepering terminology

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Trikling now added to the appendix!
Sorry thought you would understand. Vaporising oxalic acid to treat the colony against mites, is that better.

YOu get as good result when you trickle oxalic syrup into hives.

100 g water + 100 g sugar + 7.5 g oxalic acid. It is enough to 3 hives.

If you have one box hives, put in ech seam 4 ml syrup.
5 ml is meant to douple brood.

Sorry thought you would understand. Vaporising oxalic acid to treat the colony against mites, is that better.

Urban dictionary = 2. vape , Slang term for a vaporizer, which is used to smoke......and other smoking mixtures.

It has not arrived to rural Tamar Valley yet

Finnish term: pörryyttää

Thank you, I was only trying not to disturb them. Being to careful I suppose. I have done ok at the moment I don't want to mess up now.

Urban dictionary = 2. vape , Slang term for a vaporizer, which is used to smoke......and other smoking mixtures.

It has not arrived to rural Tamar Valley yet

Finnish term: pörryyttää
You learn something new every day don't you.

Is that the anhydride or dihydride?

:icon_204-2:

Dave, your profile shows 3 hives.

Rather than invest in a vaporiser AND personal protection kit, my suggestion is that you bite the bullet and pay £6 (plus postage) for this year's treatment - trickling Oxalic rather than vaporising it.
Thornes sell ready-to-use solution in a special dispenser bottle which they call Trickle2 - at £3 for enough for 2 hives.
If you want to push the boat out, spend another £1 on a spare (empty) bottle so you can practice with the dispenser (using plain water, into the sink).
Only downside is the short (just weeks) shelf life of any ready-to-use mix.

Wash out the empty bottles and keep them for the future.
When you have a few more hives (or a local group working together), you can mix your own - and refill those dispenser bottles.

Only when you have LOTS of hives does vaporisation make any sort of economic sense. Setting fire to hives with homemade kit is the least of your worries -- the fumes are very dangerous to humans.
For 3 hives, trickling is the sensible way to apply Oxalic.

/// postage can be shared with other local beeks, or you could get it as part of a January Sale order (which always goes over the £100 free postage threshold!)

Personally going to try multiple 5ml syringes this year. Filled ready to go before I open each hive. Cost was £2 for 5.

Go and ask at your local vet for a 60ml syringe, then you can load it up for multiple seams in one, im sure if u ask nicely they will give you it, mine did.

Hi i was going to vape! as well i just don't want to trickle oxalic over them when its cold i know every one else seem to do it. i have been looking in to making a vaporizer

Latest posts

Back