Help wanted Sheffield Area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walldanzig

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all

I am looking to keep bees for next year and have bought the hive starter kit but am going into this with lots of technical info but no practical info. Which is obviously going to lead to stings and errors. I was wondering if there was anyone in the Sheffield area who could help or offer any assistance. There doesnt seem to be much in South Yorkshire in the way of beekeeping!

Hi all

I am looking to keep bees for next year and have bought the hive starter kit but am going into this with lots of technical info but no practical info. Which is obviously going to lead to stings and errors. I was wondering if there was anyone in the Sheffield area who could help or offer any assistance. There doesnt seem to be much in South Yorkshire in the way of beekeeping!

I thought I saw this recently. Go to http://www.sheffieldbeekeepers.org.uk/, which is a newly formed group which was due to meet last week.

Hi all

Also check here for your local association where you can get a training course in the new year.

http://************************/local_associations_about_us.php

Some more miltant forum members will no doubt be pulling faces, but I found it extremely useful and I am in my first Year of keekeeping.

Forgot about the forum stripping out urls. It is the BBKA site and its list of Local associations.

Thanks PSAFloyd I havent researched for a few weeks thats really usefull. I will drop them an email. How did you find it in the first year?

Well, I enquired last summer and was invited to a local meeting, where it was recommended I become an associate member so I could attend meetings, receive the monthly newsletter and be given priority for the training course starting in April. Good job I did, too, as there were nearly 30 of us.

The theory was nothing you couldn't learn from one of the excellent books (not all are) but it provided context. The practical training was invaluable, as it allowed me to see how I would react to the bees in the flesh and I was fine. Some weren't.

I learnt basic handling techniques which I built on with each successive session< getting to do most of the main things required of a beek in the first year. Unfortunately I missed the chance to actually do a shook swarm, but having handled the hives, frames and bees, feel able to put my limited practical skills to use.

With the help of a book for reference and probably a look at some videos as well.

I definatley think I need the practical experience and it would be good to get to meet people who are keeping bees so I can learn from them

Walldanzig,
Are you in Sheffield itself? If so Sheffield assoc would be a good starting point. If you're south of Sheffield PM me and I may be able to introduce you to some keepers.

Thanks Juststarting I have emailed the Sheffield Assoc and completed their online survey so heres hoping

Hey,

The Sheffield Beekeepers Association launched last week and next meeting will be on 12th Jan 2011.

There is absolutely loads happening in Sheffield on beekeeping so not sure why you think that, including a range of free training courses (part of the Bee Buddies project) being run in 2010 and 2011 (as well as paid courses via other routes).

We have put over 90 people on taster sessions in just 2010.

I will drop you an email from the survey you have done.

Jez

Ps the 1st association meeting had over 100 ppl attend so not sure how you missed it (dont expect same number in January)

Pps the Yorkshire beekeeping association is one of the largest regional groups in the UK and one of the most active too!

Last edited:
Ppps Dan, I have you email - will reply to that :)

Thanks Jezd. The hive turned up today i'm going to build it at the beggining of next year I cant see the point of exposing an empty hive to the elements. To be honest I researched half way through this year and the only things I could find where east riding bee keepers and Sheffield Hallam Uni. It's good to hear it's going strong would love to attend in January. I know this is probably the wrong section but do you know anyone who has Nucs for sale in Sheffield. I have spoken to a nice fella in Cumbria who has some in Manchester but would sooner have some local.

Thanks

Dan

no worries, will reply on both matters, got very late and needed sleep last night sso orry.

Jez

I couldnt have been more wrong about not much going on in Sheffield with bees there is so much and everyone is really friendly

Latest posts

Back