Help understanding android app permissions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
Help required for technological dinosaur regarding app permissions. I have just bought my first Smartphone.

I wanted to install an app which wants permission not to allow my phone to sleep.
What does this mean? Does it mean I won't be able to turn it off? is it a problem or am I just being paranoid?

Thank you for any replies. I am guessing many of you will be techy experts?
Cazza

That permission is usually for apps that need to keep the screen on. For example a video player would be pretty useless if the screen went to sleep every two minutes.

Paul

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

You need a 12 yr old kid to really understand these things :)

I think it would only affect you battery life while you had that app open.
Once closed you are safe.

As already stated it depends what the app is. The ones that usually ask for that permission are ones that need to be on all the time they are switched on, when you click off the app that permission is not needed so the phone can go into sleep mode. The other is where the phone needs to check every few minutes for an update.... Newsfeeds etc, that might mean that they won't work in sleep mode but when you switch your phone on it will work.
Hope all that makes sense....what I am trying to say is that it depends on the app and will probably only stop the phone sleeping when the app is being used,
E

Thank you all for helping me understand this.
I wanted to install an app which gives me data when I ski so I can see why it needs to be able to stay on now.
Thanks again
Cazza

It's got to the point where I think my phone is cleverer than me! Sad!

Android in the key word.

You need a sonic screwdriver.

Latest posts

Back