Help required with a swarm!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poggle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The hive that was in the flat just down from us has swarmed, not a big one as such but they are as shitty as hell. Lots of high pitched humming from lots of guard bees as we go near the swarm. I have put a poly nuc nto a step ladder under and near to the swarm and I hvae tried sweeping bees onto comb then into the nuc with no success, they stay there for a few minutes then fly bacl to the main swarm. What do i do what can i do and is there anyone in the Wareham area of dorset who might come out and help me with this please?

Sorry I am not closer. The bees will return to the swarm if you haven't got the queen - or even if you have and they don't like the accom! Can you shake whatever they are on into the box?

Sorry I am not closer. The bees will return to the swarm if you haven't got the queen - or even if you have and they don't like the accom! Can you shake whatever they are on into the box?

Cann't shake them, they are clustered on a wooden pregoda type thing. Tried brushing them onto comb and placing in nuc but they went a bit ballistic around me when I did.

spray them with a mist sprayer and a solution of sugar syrup. when wet and sticky they dont fly about as much for a few mins until they have had time to clean thenselves. this gives you time to brush / scoop them into a box and hopefully the queen too.
good luck

spray them with a mist sprayer and a solution of sugar syrup. when wet and sticky they dont fly about as much for a few mins until they have had time to clean thenselves. this gives you time to brush / scoop them into a box and hopefully the queen too.
good luck

Might just try that. Thanks.

Or can you spare a frame of brood? If so hold it close to them and they might let themselves be collected up...and placed into BB.

Is it possible to get a skep/box above the pergoda and smoke underneath them so they go up into the box.?

Is it possible to get a skep/box above the pergoda and smoke underneath them so they go up into the box.?

Ooooooooooooooooo, now, there IS a thought!!!! yes, that can be done. Would the poly nuc need to be upside down though?

And here is an update and an admision while I am at it!!! Basically I was terrified of the wee blighters gentle folks. They were only doing what wild animals do, protect their home/environment from a short fat jock in a space suit!! Anyway, the "angry" behavour was not agreessive at all, just my fear of the unknown so, I did the only thing I could, i bit my bottom lip, walked up to them with nuc box and bee brush and mister of suger water, sprayed them and then just shoveled them gently into the nuc box with five frames in it for them. I think I got the queen first scoop as well, I did 4 good brush fulls of bees into the nuc then put it back on the ground with the lid three quarters on and left them too it. Within 15 minutes they were bums up and fanning like crazy at the entrance to the nuc box and at the gap in the lid. The little old lady who's garden they were in, was really pleased to see them in the garden and was wondering why we came to take them away, I said it was due to not knowing where they would go to settle down and, as there were children using the gardens around her so, she then says "Oh well, that will be THEIR outlook then!" That was when I made my mind up to bury the fear and go get them!!

I suppose it will be ok to go round at 8 or 9 o clock when they should all be in the nuc, strap it shut, block the entrance with a bit of cloth then walk them the 600 yards or so to my allotment?

Last edited:
Next question. When should I move her majesty and the girls into a hive proper?

It depends how big the swarm is - a nuc box is ideal if they are a smaller swarm. Bees like cosy! Just give them time to fill the frames out and settle down. A full hive is not ideal if they can't heat it or yet have a settled queen laying well.

It depends how big the swarm is - a nuc box is ideal if they are a smaller swarm. Bees like cosy! Just give them time to fill the frames out and settle down. A full hive is not ideal if they can't heat it or yet have a settled queen laying well.

I guesstimate only three full frames of bees, that is both sides full of bees. It was a small swarm, nothing like how big my swarm was last year. Actually, thaat swarm was kept in the poly nuc for around two months before I moved it into the hive.............I reckon I have answered my own question:)

good luck

Weak sugar syrup...or they will asphyxiate....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

And, thew nuc is now down the allotment and all set up beside the other hive. I am knackered but happy I managed to collect my first ever "wild" swarm, and get everything done ok:)

Just pray they stay now.

Now, it is funny you should say that.......You must be the twenty millionth that has said that to me since I caught them:D Or at least one of several :). Do many decide to bugger of then? Or is it just a few?

Latest posts

Back