Help Please..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMAE

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm presenting to a group of 7yr olds tomorrow, and haven't got my text books with me.
Does anyone know how many flowers (est.) a bee has to visit to make say a teaspoon of honey. Just want to emphasize how hard they work to make it!

Many Thanks

AMAE

A source on the web states

"To make just one teaspoon of honey bees need to travel about 778 miles (1252km) and visit more than 40,000 flowers!"

Thanks Grizzly,

I was just about to start trawling myself!

It all seemed like a good idea at the time....

AMAE

Here's wishing you good luck.

Next question: how much is 40 000 flowers?

If you have 4 flowers in one square meter, you have 40 000 flowers. Then you get one teen spoon from one hectare

Who is serious?

1LB of honey is about 50,000 miles (Twice around the earth).

I love giving classroom talks to 5-10 year olds,the questions they ask crack me up,its like a mad episode from Outnumbered.

I guarantee they will weave death and pain into the questions.

1LB of honey is about 50,000 miles (Twice around the earth).

Lets calculate again.

The bee flyes from flower to flower 2 miles per hour.
50 000 miles makes 25 000 hours = 10 hour work = 2500 days = 10 years.

When yield season is only 2 months, it is 60 years. Lets take rainy and cold days off and we have 120 years.

Always knew you could prove anything with numbers!

As for blood and gore my 7 year old is very anxious to know...How many stings it takes for one queen to kill another?

I'll let you know if I get any more beauties! I'm on in an hour! thanks for the good wishes.

AMAE

Ok back from giving my talks.....went well thanks. The funniest question had to be from a six year old boy.....

' Are there any drag queens in the hive?'

LOL...I lost the thread for quite a while after that one!

Also another boy was fascinated with decapitation of honeybees by Hornets- blood thirsty little darling!

AMAE

Last edited:
The stinger run by another virgin and sweeped with its abdomen.

Sorry Finman, not quite following , could you expand please....

AMAE

The stinger run by another virgin and sweeped with its abdomen.

Sorry Finman, not quite following , could you expand please....

AMAE

There was two just emerged queens on the comb and they peeped to call into fight.

Another one passed the another virgin, their antennas just met and that runner stick once with her sting. And she did not even slowed her running.
It was less than 1/10 second.

I don know how to say it in English. Forget if you do not understand.

Interesting. 1 sting = dead. Thanks Finman.

Thanks Finman...and your English is amazing...much better than my Finnish!

One talk to children that I gave - question came from the group 'What are bees made of?' Aahh! not in my notes for 6-8yr olds - how long did I have!!! I circumvented it neatly:coolgleamA: - I think

Latest posts

Back