Help please!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover Girl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Would appreciate any advice on today's challenges! OH has successfully trapped a cast from my hive and has it in a box upside down on the lawn. When can he close it up - it's propped up a bit at the moment? Do we have to wait till this evening to hive it - if it stays!!
Thank you all!

Hi - you could try hiving it now if you are sure the queen is in there. Or put in a nuc box if it is a cast swarm.

:iagree:
I caught a swarm mid-day once, and when I went to hive it in the evening it'd gorn... :rolleyes:

If it is card board box then I would transfer it into a nuc or a hive on the same spot. Move it this evening. If it is a wooden box leave it till this evening and then knock it into a hive where you want it. There will be a small amount of wild comb already, dispose of that.
E

Enrico is on the button.

The post seems to indicate the bees could be on the ground. Chucking a handful into the entrance of the adjacent nuc should see them walking in (with a small sheet of something placed to help them) but casts are renowned for absconding....

... casts are renowned for absconding....

You could steal a frame of brood from your hive for the nuc or whatever you hive them in. Brood can help to anchor them.
But don't feed until they have settled properly - at least a couple of days. You don't want to be refuelling them for the next leg of their prospective journey...

Swarm hived this evening - thanks to all who helped!

Latest posts

Back