Help Please - Low Stores in colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Hello,

I have just rescued a colony from a mate of mine who lost his job and is now having to work away from home. I have just inspected them to find that they only have 6lb of stores I reckon. They are a very strong colony in terms of numbers, the hive is never going to make it through the autumn never mind winter....
I am desperate and hope that feeding them with autumn syrup mix over the next couple of weeks will get some stores into them? On the other hand i know it's late and am not sure if they will be able to store and seal it now? I could do candy but never done it this early before?
I live in mid wales and the weather is OK, if a little cold at night, the bees are out and about foraging and there's small amounts of pollen coming in. Can I ask what some of you would do if in my place, i don't want to unite the colony with one of my others, nor do I want to take stores from the other 2. Thanks very much.

I have been feeding for 4 weeks and prob for next 4 weeks at least. depends if stays warm. 2:1 or even a bit thicker.. pile it in.

1:1 is too thin- they will have to work harder to reduce to store :svengo:. 2:1 in winter-

1:1 is for Spring with extra water to help flush their system after winter...

The bees will not thank you for one to one.

Give them nice strong two to one and feed well.

Just mind and leave them enough room to bring on another flush of brood, say two or three combs worth.

PH

Big feeder - miller or ashforth - with space for lots of bees along the "shoreline".
Thymolated 2:1 syrup. Probably going to have to give them close to 15kg of sugar as syrup.
Or if its ever going to be better, it would be in this situation - Ambrosia.

/ and no harm in ensuring a line of supply for some baker's fondant, for later, if need be.

I have been piling in 2:1 for some time now with little increase in the stores. We have recently had rain ( increasing nectar flow) and the last two days have been warm and sunny, and at long last they are working the ivy! Thank heavens.

Itma is spot on as usual. Alternative is a big block of fondant now.

The thymol will avoid fermentation in the combs if they don't get as far as sealing it all.

Be prepared to dummy/insulate any empty space if they don't get it filled before clustering time.

What Is Thermalated syrup please

Thanks everyone for the advice and a relief to be able to feed, I would of done 2:1 also, just not sure what thermalated is?

Thymol in the syrup is for another day right now the bees need the syrup a link will follow regarding thymol in syrup.

Latest posts

Back