Help Newbie please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveuk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Apolagise beforhand if this is covered.
Basically i am in my second month of keeping bees, one hive.

I know to day weather awfull, but i noticed my bees which are doing well, have all nearly filled enterance to hive and very slow moving, lafargice.

Is this normal,
thanks
steve

hi steve

have a look at this site it will set your mind at rest :- http://www.sysonby.com/beecam/

its one of the forum members hives where they have cams

i warn you the cams are adictive to watch. the consesus is that lots of peoples bees are hanging out on the outside of their hives. must be the shock of the hot weather. must be wanting a good tan and want to be first at the deck chairs. lol

Camera

When I click on the link shown I get the hotel page showing 2 black squares labelled Inside & Outside but can't seem to get any pics.
I've tried clicking the red square top left - nothing.
Any suggestions, please?
Many thanks

How long have your bees been hived, where they a full hive of bees. If the queen has been laying well and producing plenty of bee you may have an overcrowded hive. You need to look in urgently. If packed with bees you need to do something right away.
1. Put on another brood box with foundation frames, take 4 frames from the old brood box, 2 from each end. Put these in the centre of the new BB and foundation frames to replace them, and put this new box on top of the old one. What you are doing is making more room so the bees won't think about swarming.
2. Put on another super to give the bees more room. But you will have to look and see whats going on.
I found that one of my hives had bees hanging out of the front of the hive in the morning for 2 days, until I had a look in and the hive was rammed with all the brood frames packed with brood, I did as I said in answer 1 and gave them plenty of room. They are now very happy and I have a big strong hive going into the rest of the season.
Give a bit more information about you hive set up, how long you have had the bees, was it a full hive or nuc, and you will get plenty of answers and information.
regards
Steven

Thank you, bees arived in May 2011 nuec of 5 frames and queen, i have added super with 10 frames, i dont have a brood box spare or foundation but will get one,
thanks for advice, but i have spare super with 10 frames spare.
thanks again
steve

I have the same problem but my bees have 4 empty brood frames - do I need to add a super? will this dissuade them from swarming?

My bees are pulling in a lot of very runny nectar so they are fanning to dry it out. (It's also warm). If this is what your bees are doing, then there is not necessarily a problem; the large water content needs a lot of surface area though to dry it. Steve, they should be drawing the super frames - how ful is the super? How many frames of brood do you now have?

Moving very slowly could be a sign of starvation. Has the weather been bad for a while in your neck of the woods? Do they have enough stores? If not, they may need feeding.

Latest posts

Back