Help needed with identification

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
150 +
Hi all,
I came across this beetle today whilst doing my feeding runs. It was tucked under the edge of the hive roof (not inside though).
I've checked in all my books and researched the web.
It's a checkered (or chequered) beetle. It could be Trichodes Alvearius or Trichodes Apiarius. However, both these beetles have 3 orange bands across the abdomen whilst this beetle only had 2. Reading the research, Apiarius likes to feed on honey bee larvae and is also known as the Bee Beetle (hence the name Apiarius). It will also lay it's eggs in the combs. (Possible infestation issues?).
So....I'm not 100% absolutely sure. If anybody can help with a positive ID (our retired vet Dani maybe), I'd be eternally grateful.
Apologies for the poor focus but it was taken on an ancient iPhone.
Thanks guys and gals.
IMG_0129.jpeg

Looks like a Sexton Beetle to me (Nicrophorus vespilloides based on the black antennae).

Common Sexton beetle, feeds on carion

Hi all,
I came across this beetle today whilst doing my feeding runs. It was tucked under the edge of the hive roof (not inside though).
It's a checkered (or chequered) beetle. It could be Trichodes Alvearius or Trichodes Apiarius. However, both these beetles have 3 orange bands across the abdomen whilst this beetle only had 2. Reading the research, Apiarius likes to feed on honey bee larvae and is also known as the Bee Beetle (hence the name Apiarius). It will also lay it's eggs in the combs. (Possible infestation issues?).
So....I'm not 100% absolutely sure. If anybody can help with a positive ID (our retired vet Dani maybe), I'd be eternally grateful.
Thanks guys and gals.
View attachment 22039
Common Sexton beetle also known as burying beetle, Nicrophoros Vespilloides, lays its eggs in carrion which it then buries.

Hi all,
Thanks guys and gals.
View attachment 22039
Never had anybody with a pet one so no can’t help.
Those antennae give me the creeps. So familiar 😱

Thank you ever so much people.
I can see where I made the mistake. Because I found her in the roof I was searching for beetles and bees or bees and beetles.
Question....If they eat carrion why would she be holed up under the roof? Getting ready for winter maybe ?

Latest posts

Back