Help needed please!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyliesized

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, im a concerned neighbour of a 6yr old lad who has already died (and thankfully the doctors managed to revive him) after getting stung by a bee. he carries a eppi-pen around with him at all times and goes into anaphylatic shock if he is stung again.

We have just been informed by another neighbour that the people who live next to this young lad are planning on putting a bee hive in their garden. naturally we are very concerned. We have not been asked if this is ok by the people planning on installing the bee hive. our gardens are very small-we live in a new build area- and i am very concerned about the impact keeping a whole hive of bees will have on my ablilty to enjoy my garden. will i still be able to use my bbq/washing line/keep the windows open in the summer.

does anyone know if there is any legislation out there regarding the keeping of bees.

I should point out i have nothing against bees or bee keeping, my grandfather used to keep bees but they were kept at the end of the garden!!

thanks, any info will be much appreciated

there is no legislation that im aware of, the only legal need is that we (beekeepers) must make sure to protect the public by reasonable means. what i would suggest, is that visit your neigbour and ask what you have heard is true and explain why you are concerned.

99% of beekeepers dont want to cause problems and want the public on our sides

TB

A bee asbo was given out this summer to householder who's bees caused a nuisance.

I would of thought that now a case has gone through the courts that more cases will go against beekeepers who keep hives on housing estates.

Have you not spoken to your Local Council as Environmental Health may be able to assist.

It's usually District Councils that may deal with this type of issue.

But as thurrock bees has already said, it would be worth speaking directly to the neighbour to explain the issue.

Last edited:
i am very concerned about the impact keeping a whole hive of bees will have on my ablilty to enjoy my garden.

One post. I am not really sure whether your concern is for the young lad or for yourself.

Regarding the epipen. He has his epipen. He could be stung by wasps or bees from anywhere. The epipen is to avoid going into anaphylactic shock. He will know how to use it.

Regarding your enjoyment of your garden. You don't say whether the supposedly proposed beehive will be adjacent to your garden and we have no idea of the area.

Now regarding the siting of a beehive. We don't know any details of the topography of the site apart from you saying they are small.

I have bees in my garden. They are unable to depart my garden without flying over a near 2m high fence. They nearly always go higher. Rarely do I get a bee in my house.

That may mean that your worries are over. I don't know.

Regarding this lad who is allergic. There may be other possible problems associated with manipulations of the colony. Personally I would not want that sort of responsibility and would not contemplate installing a beehive in those circumstances. It might be a different matter if the bees were there and known about before the problem arrived.

All situations are different and your post seems ambivalent to me in that you open with one statement and then change to another scenario. I think it needs sorting out at a local level.

RAB

While keeping honey bees might expose those living in close proximity to a slightly raised chance of a sting it's hardly anything to fuss about if the epipen works.

Is there legislation to prevent stinging by wasps, hornets and bumble bees?

I'd be tempted to say something more controversial on this subject but I'll restrain myself...for now. :)

My Bee Hive is about 3/4 of the way down my average sized garden.
We still have BBQ's (when the weather allows it).
So far no problems with the washing.
And yes, we leave windows open in the summer.
So I dont think you will have a problem.

Recently a friend of mine asked if she could come and view my Bees,
as apparently her Local Council were encouraging people to have Bees in their Gardens

My circumstances are (so it sounds) similar to o90o, my experiences of my garden based hive are also similar to o90o and have caused no concerns to me or neighbours so far and I am surround by about 270 degrees. If that gives you some confidence then great but caution is no bad thing in these circumstances either. That said we must recognise that local goodwill is a necessary ingredient for enjoyable garden based keeping, are you offering goodwill?

I must put a frank question to you Kyliesized. Are your concerns for yourself or the lad in question? If for you I would suggest you see how things develop. If you are concerned for the lad in question then make his parents / guardian aware (if you must) and let them determine the best welfare approach on his behalf. I hope things work out, human interest and welfare must come first in such a circumstance (no brainer statement)

Invite them all around for coffee and talk about it.

Last edited:
Best idea so far. Even better, find another neighbour to host the coffee invitation as if you wish to make progress it needs to be led by someone who isn't going to exaggerate.

Hi Kilesized,
I understand your concern both for your enjoyment of your garden and the allergic lad !! . Both these points are valid and need addressing .
Firstly your enjoyment of your garden is your right and nuicance laws ensure this ! secondly but more inmportantly the welfare of the boy in question.

A meeting with with the potential beekeeper on your own behalf is required ( questions like "is he experienced", "how many hives", "what's his answer to soiled washing in Spring time"?.
People do successfully keep bees in small (tiny) gardens, that isn't the problem ! It's the poximity to neighbours that creates some problems !
Before I'm accused of being elitist regarding the keeping of bees, I must make the point that resposibility to the bees neighbours , live stock etc. must be paramount when undertaking such a venture.

As Regards the boy then previous advice carries (leave that to his parents)else you leave yourself open to the accusation of using the lads' problem to solve your own.

My final advice is "Jaw Jaw, not War War ".
Don't let this fester,
Remember , your aversion to having bees around isn't enough to cause a nuisance . Real evedence of an interruption to your normal coming and goings would have to be shown .

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back