Help needed by a newbie.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidsolo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi again everyone,

Here is my first question.

As mentioned in my intro thread, I'm new to bee keeping and have only had my hives for a couple of weeks.

I live on an old farm and my bees are located in the front garden.

Over the top of the house and in another courtyard we have a nettle jungle that I want to spray with weed killer.

Bearing in mind the current temperatures, is it safe to keep our bees in for 24 hours while this is done?

Thanks.

Al.

Should be no problem as long as you use weedkiller rather than insecticide!

Nettles are quite easy to kill by repeated mowing or strimming, but I assume that's not practical.

in another courtyard we have a nettle jungle that I want to spray with weed killer.
It's quite likely that at this time of the year there will be butterfly caterpillars and other insects feeding on nettles. If it can wait, the non chemical best bet is probably to leave them to die down naturally in autumn and strim as they emerge next spring.

And add unwanted nettles to a water tub to get great (smelly) plant food - just leave in for 2 days. I put in black bag- tear a few small holes and submerge.
but.. Use, dont get rid- unless they are a nuisance to humans- and yes, the insects will enjoy + benefit- your choice....

and definitely do not block bees in at the mo- far too hot. Unless moving- and then only with a travel screen. I have bees bearding at 7 in the morning..

Thanks for the advice guys.

I did wonder about the temperature, which is why I asked.

I'll hold off on the weed killer and strim them down instead. They really are a major problem.

I'm aware of nettles being the food source for the caterpillar of the Small Tortoiseshell butterfly (and others) and up to ten years ago we always had masses of caterpillars and butterflies. (at least twenty varieties to my knowledge) and simply let the nettles grow.

That has now dwindled to an almost complete absence of caterpillars and butterflies over that timespan and this year I have only seen one Small Tortoiseshell and two Small White. Sad but true.

Certainly is sad. Probably caused by the indiscriminate use of pesticides.
To add to the uses list. You could also strim them and dry them in bunches(in shade) then use them for nettle tea. I was pleasantly surprised by drinking this for its antihistamine properties. I currently have a huge red area around a bee sting.

I'd be for strimming them, cheaper and easier, (if you have a strimmer that is!

You can add them to the compost heap this weather they'll be tinder dry in a day and pack down easily.

Hi again everyone,

Here is my first question.

As mentioned in my intro thread, I'm new to bee keeping and have only had my hives for a couple of weeks.

I live on an old farm and my bees are located in the front garden.

Over the top of the house and in another courtyard we have a nettle jungle that I want to spray with weed killer.

Bearing in mind the current temperatures, is it safe to keep our bees in for 24 hours while this is done?

Thanks.

Al.

Depends how hot it is when it comes to keeping them locked up.

Why don't you just cut down the nettles and compost them rather than using weedkiller?

If you have to use weedkiller, I'd spray early and hope it is dry before they are on them, but shouldn't really be a major problem, should it. After all, it's a weedkiller, not an insecticide.

Thanks for the advice guys.
That has now dwindled to an almost complete absence of caterpillars and butterflies over that timespan and this year I have only seen one Small Tortoiseshell and two Small White. Sad but true.

I hope that's not part of the reason to get rid of the nettles. I have seen more butterflies this year than I've seen for a decade, not that has much to do with anything. I'm sure that's not what you meant, and other reasons can suffice, of course. Just thought I'd register an opinion. I like the idea of using nettles as plant food.

Kind regards,

A

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back