Help me rescue my season!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
With one thing and another I’ve had a really difficult season so far. My plans to increase to 12 hives were scuppered by my well documented allergy issue. Thankfully this is resolved, but the reduced inspection regime it has demanded up to now meant I’ve never quite gotten ahead of the bees.

I’ve been struggling to get them from 14x12s to nationals too, with 3 Bailey changes going a bit awry (now sorted). On top of that, I’ve seen DWV for the first time.

All this meant my queen improvement plans never really got going. I’ve had 2 colonies swarm between 7 day checks (willing to accept I may have missed something). Both of these then had mated queens which started trying to swarm before any larvae was even capped! Again, I’m sure I’ve made mistakes.

So, this leaves me with the following:

Hive 1: Recently mated queen on 14x12, eggs seen for first time last week, queen cells yesterday. Queen seen, so cells knocked to allow thinking time.

Hive 2: Lovely bees on Nationals, bit of DWV so having OAV (dose 2 of 3 tomorrow).

Hive 3: Pretty grumpy 2016 queen on nationals, but decent colony.

Hive 4: looks like a newly mated but already failing queen.

Hive 5: good hive, awaiting new queen laying.

I would like a modest summer honey crop, for which I’m relying on hives 2, 3 and maybe a bit from 5. The others I’m thinking of combining once I ascertain that the queens aren’t up to scratch. So combining them, maybe with hive 5.

Can I then make splits in July to get back to 5 or six hives? I’ll try some queen rearing ASAP and look to take any surplus through winter in nucs.

Does this seem reasonable?

I’m feeling a bit down about how the season has turned out. But after February’s A&E drama, I’m trying to remind myself that it could have been much, much worse!

I sympathise, I had a bad year last year but this year is better, look on the bright side. Your plan sounds good, get strong hives from what you have and then use one for nucs in summer which you are prepared to overwinter. Make sure your hives are strong and settled before you leap into splitting. It's no good aiming for 12 hives this year if things are not going right. It will come right next year
E

Thanks. Yeah I’m resetting my objective to having six strong hives for the winter. But I will prioritise strength over numbers of hives.

Reflecting last night, I had a back injury around Xmas so missed a couple of weeks of OAV/checks. I just wonder if they were carrying more mites in the spring than I realised. This might be why they are keen to swarm and requeen straight after they get a new queen. I guess the virgins could be weakened by varroa themselves.

I’ve learnt a lot this year, I really have.

Thanks. Yeah I’m resetting my objective to having six strong hives for the winter. But I will prioritise strength over numbers of hives.

Reflecting last night, I had a back injury around Xmas so missed a couple of weeks of OAV/checks. I just wonder if they were carrying more mites in the spring than I realised. This might be why they are keen to swarm and requeen straight after they get a new queen. I guess the virgins could be weakened by varroa themselves.

I’ve learnt a lot this year, I really have.

I think many will have learnt from your posts and openness. Strength of colonies over numbers of hives sounds like a sensible move in the circumstances.

Yes strong colonies is the most important thing. I spent a couple of year with around 1 or 2 colonies and a general sense of unease so I sympathise. You'll get there, just keep learning and don't panic I think would be my most important pieces of advice.

I would suggest don't increase colony numbers until you are ready and can cope with them.
Sometimes queens don't mate well :(

Are you making notes? Or have downloaded an apiary management app for your phone? You seem like you have the passion which is most of the battle...

As Murox said, good on you for openly seeking advice. Not sure how many seasons youve been at this but 12 hives seems a lot as a starter. Focus on 2 or 3 strong hives and you'll get honey. Listen to Enrico and Murox- one cannot fault them for advice. They have got this beginner through much....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

This might be why they are keen to swarm and requeen straight after they get a new queen..
It's quite common after a requeening that they throw up "swarm" cells. It's possibly a reaction to foreign genes and the bees want to raise their own queen. I usually juts KO them as it stops as soon as the new queen is surrounded by her own entourage of bees she has produced.
Not saying this is what happened in your case but worth bearing in mind.

Are you making notes? Or have downloaded an apiary management app for your phone? You seem like you have the passion which is most of the battle...

As Murox said, good on you for openly seeking advice. Not sure how many seasons youve been at this but 12 hives seems a lot as a starter. Focus on 2 or 3 strong hives and you'll get honey. Listen to Enrico and Murox- one cannot fault them for advice. They have got this beginner through much....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yes I make notes. This is season 3 for me. Last season I went from 3 to 6. Plan was to go to 6 + 6 nucs. Last season was very simple though. They tried to swarm (all in the same week!), I used the Nuc method + 1 Snelgrove and it all worked. This season, every colony is being awkward!

I’ve got test frames in two hives at the moment, we’ll see if they really want to sort themselves out! The one making q cells after recently mating have now done it for a fortnight, but I’ve yet to see any more eggs laid. Tricky to know though with the odd weather. If they draw cells on the “good” eggs, I’ll leave one for them and maybe pinch a couple to try to get mated as reserves.

As for being open - there’s no point not being!

Yes I make notes. This is season 3 for me. Last season I went from 3 to 6. Plan was to go to 6 + 6 nucs. Last season was very simple though. They tried to swarm (all in the same week!), I used the Nuc method + 1 Snelgrove and it all worked. This season, every colony is being awkward!

I’ve got test frames in two hives at the moment, we’ll see if they really want to sort themselves out! The one making q cells after recently mating have now done it for a fortnight, but I’ve yet to see any more eggs laid. Tricky to know though with the odd weather. If they draw cells on the “good” eggs, I’ll leave one for them and maybe pinch a couple to try to get mated as reserves.

As for being open - there’s no point not being!

OK...I am one season more than you, so one bumbling newbie to another: I had 12 post swarmy period in April/May and now at 9 and will go to 8 tomorrow after a combine. I'll have 7 decent sized honey-ready colonies as evidenced by the lovely brood pattern across about 8 frames and on either brood, brood.5 or one 2brood.

Anyhoo - obviously cant see all your hives but from your description I would combine to get whatever number in the next couple of weeks in prep for the main flow making sure you have plenty of room adjusting brood frames so they "seem right" and encourage the queen in each specific colonial case.

This is my favourite part of the season doing exactly this. If you get 5 hives at that decent state then don't fret about the others and reduce to NUCs.

Have you got Poly NUCs on hand? I found having 3 of those at our sort of 9-12 level is a great comfort since we know how good they are for overwintering. Peace of mind and all that....

Be zen! cheers

Latest posts

Back