Help me find a motor for my extractor.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a nine frame manual extractor that needs a motor.
Any idea's on the cheapest place to buy one ?

google for motors. When I bought mine for my pump I went to an electrical factor.

PH

Depends on how much of a DIY person you are.
If you want one that easliy fits without too much work I agree with PH.. Those places should know what they are selling and offer advice regarding start up and speed etc.

or if you are a hacksaw and meccano man use a motor off something else.

The gearing set up on extractors always reminds me of brace and bit hand drill, and as there are extractors for sale that can be used with a cordless drill, why not think along those lines.... Depending on what extractor you have surely it cant be too much work to remove the handle and use an electric drill of some sort.

Mr B beat me to it.

I tried a Google a couple of times and got totaly confused regards watts and torque ect.

thats oggling.. bee-smillie

I tried a Google a couple of times and got totaly confused regards watts and torque ect.

You will need to look at your old motor to see what HP its is then you can start looking on google etc
I will look at mine and see if I can find out what HP mine is:seeya:

or if you are a hacksaw and meccano man use a motor off something else.

I needed a motor last year for a project, turned out to be cheaper to buy a cheap bench drill and take the motor off of it.
Had a nice set of pullies already fitted too.

Kev

Mark

Here we go mine is a 12 frame extractor this is whats on my motor

HZ 50 PHASE 1
AMPS 2.0
HP 1/4
WATTS 190 OR ITS 100 ( EYES NOT TO GOOD )

RPM 4000
HARVALUX ELECTRIC MOTORS LTD
WALLISDOWN BOURNEMOUTH

SO ITS A 1/4 HP MOTOR YOU ARE AFTER

Andy:seeya:

Hi Mark,
Have had a dig around in the shed and found a motor from an old bench drill.

Spec:
240V single phase.
1/5 HP
1420 RPM
150 Watts.

Has a multi position pulley on the shaft and flat mounting plate.

Yours if any good to you.

Kev

Kev that sounds very close to being just what I need.

Hi Mark,
I am sure that it will do what you want.
The lower RPM and multi position pully should make it easier to get the speeds right.

Kev

The satandard unit is only 80W (not sure whether that is input or output, but probably input). It is not actually referred to as a motor in engineering speak. It is a 'geared unit' ie a motor and gearbox designed together as a single entity.

The reduction gears or whatever (often a large and smaller gear (expensive and larger), or crownwheel and screw ('worm drive') need to be matched for speed and torque. The torque increases as the output speed decreases for any given input speed), so JC is very correct in what he says about safety.

The normal electric motor runs at circa 1400 rpm and the speedier ones 2800, so a reduction of 10:1 is required for the normal drum extractor (280 rpm) as size is an important issue in this application.

Now, I cast around for a motor/gear for mine and picked up a whole extractor for thirty quid. The extractor was rubbish and the drive only a single direction. It was a Th*rne unit from earlier days.

That is the way I would recommend if you have time on your side.

The manual drive could be exchanged to the other extractor to recoup costs (fleabay?)

If going the 'make it', I might suggest a suitable windscreen wiper motor as a starting point? They are cheap and used to be very robust (not so much these days!) or the motor from a larger sewing machine (already has the contoller!)

Speed control for a DC motor could be a simple field current rheostat, for A/C a thyristor control (armature), or frequency changer if an induction type (squirrrel cage), motor.

I simply went the wait-and-watch route because it was simple and easy to make the change, and does not look too Heath Robinson. Even drive couplings can be a minefield these days.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
I on this mission myself and have in store a couple of motors off an electric wheel chair, these may well be useful for the project i thought. Two per chair maybe designed for a 16+ stone loading, should make one ok for an extractor ? They are similar to the parvalux / old type windscreen wiper motor, not sure they would have enough womph.
Must be readily available these days.

The wheel chair motors sound excellent I would have thought. Starting up slowly, you essentially have a fairly balanced flywheel and so massive power isn't necessary.

For those interested, the standard Vauxhall Astra windscreen wiper motor gives around 65rpm at the gearbox output with nominal 12V - 13.8V input.

parvelux motors are the best suppliers in the country , they can supply you with any type of motor and if you get a dc one its very simple to uise a small dc motor speed controler rather than pullies and belts , but as with every thing there is a cost to it as they are sell one of the best products at one of the best price hieghts,

i motorised a old extractor for a friend last year and we used a small electric drill from tool station that cost us £20 to buy and the morning drinking tea and paying with bits of metal to form a bracket to hold it in place, it comes with a trigger type speed control so its good enough if you can be bothered to hold the trigger or use a velcro strap to hold it in place

we were looking at replacing it for next year with a dc motor at 12 volts and getting three controlers installed into a box on the top so we could have three set speeds and timed programs to run it for us so we could be un capping whilst it spins around

Back