Help... How do I stop robbing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melias

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of our hives is being robbed aggressively by other bees, probably from a feral hive in a nearby chimney. What the best way to put a stop to this?

close the hive entrance to 1 bee space so they can defend the hive better. But if the hive is over run and the bees have given up on the hive defence, feed the bees and close the hive for a few days. Make sure they are ventilated and have access to enough food.

Thanks. By one bee space, do you mean literally the size of a single bee, or that the height of the entrance (which is 6-7 inches long) should be reduced to a height of one bee?

Had the same problem a few weeks ago.

I closed the hive for two days with an OMF, feed them and re opened with 1 bee space....it worked for me.

Thanks. By one bee space, do you mean literally the size of a single bee, or that the height of the entrance (which is 6-7 inches long) should be reduced to a height of one bee?

The size of a single bee (or two or three) - the small entrance helps them defend.

Low is good, but low, narrow like 2 bees rather than 2 inches (and central) is ideal.
Use foam or whatever temporarily ...

Last edited:
Odd robbing situation

my colony swarmed in July - didn't manage to get them back, they went off into the nearby moors never to be seen again.

Recently I've noticed some fighting at the hive entrance, bees being 'sussed out' on the landing board by others, then pushed to the ground where a fight starts. some being dragged out of the hive (I have reduced entrance dramatically already).

Now, interesting thing is, the bees look exactly the same - I would almost certainly say they were the same colony (because my inital thought was "why are they fighting eachother!") - which made me think - are the swarm coming back and robbing? is this possible? does the scent change once they have swarmed? will the colony not realise that they are being robbed by their ex-housemates?

Really interesting to me - any thoughts?

Gary

does the scent change once they have swarmed?

Yep - different queen = different Queen Substance cocktail.

It's a Very Big Debate about their awareness or otherwise. It may be the old colony - BUT don't forget that bees have a limited lifespan so flyers you see now were most likely brood at wherever the swarm now is.

There may be some weird communal memory that bees have, they never cease to amaze me.

As a throwaway comment - think back to your earlies memory. Mine happens to be my first day at school. I can remember it quite well. Since then every atom in my body (except my bones) has been replaced. But I remember it. Amazing, huh? Bees may have some similar collective memory.

One word of warning. I had a small colony being robbed by the big one next door and I did not spot it. I shut them up for winter full of stores which were miraculously gone come Xmas. Fortunately I was able to give them tons of candy to last until spring so - even if you stop the robbing for now using advice on here, just rememebr they may come back and start all over again in a few weeks.

I think even your bones get replaced every 10 years or so (wheres a pathologist when you need one?).
Not a pathologist as such - however the usual figure is that 10% of bone tissue gets replaced each year. Some parts are replaced more frequently than others, such as joints. The rate also decreases with age. Some of the raw materials that are broken down will also be recycled elsewhere in the structures.

So it's likely that while all your bones may be replaced at some point there will be atoms that have been there since birth and a higher percentage that have been in your body since around puberty. It's enough that the isotope mix left in archaeological remains can be used to estimate where the individual grew up. See example such as http://www.ahrc.ac.uk at /News/Latest/Pages/YorksHeadlessRomans.aspx

Apologies for drift off topic but the basics are that there are plenty of examples of animals who compete with their parents without any special regard. Just think of the offspring of birds competing for territories next spring. I have not read of any bees regarding a split or swarmed colony as 'family', they are as much competitors as any others.

Last edited:
Nose Ma;as a throwaway comment - think back to your earlies memory. Mine happens to be my first day at school. I can remember it quite well. Since then every atom in my body (except my bones) has been replaced. But I remember it. Amazing said:
That totally spooked me out - now that will make a change from the normal topic in the pub tonight (normal topics = euro, x-factor, libya - all very yawn)

my colony swarmed in July - didn't manage to get them back, they went off into the nearby moors never to be seen again.

Recently I've noticed some fighting at the hive entrance, bees being 'sussed out' on the landing board by others, then pushed to the ground where a fight starts. some being dragged out of the hive (I have reduced entrance dramatically already).

Now, interesting thing is, the bees look exactly the same - I would almost certainly say they were the same colony (because my inital thought was "why are they fighting eachother!") - which made me think - are the swarm coming back and robbing? is this possible? does the scent change once they have swarmed? will the colony not realise that they are being robbed by their ex-housemates?

Really interesting to me - any thoughts?

Gary

you might be able to track the hive that is robbing your hive. here is a way that can be adapted to do the job for you
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2010/03/bee-hunting.html
the bee box is a two compartment box used for catching bees and feeding them till they are full and marking them if wanted(i think with flour). they then return home and recruit more bees you time how long this takes and which direction the bee goes home in. Then mark a few dozen of the bees and start following the trail to the hive.

same theory works very well for wasps because both fly home in straight lines if possible

One of our hives is being robbed aggressively by other bees, probably from a feral hive in a nearby chimney. What the best way to put a stop to this?

We have been told a piece of cloche glass against the entrance stops the robbers who fly straight to the entrance and hit the glass and confuse themselves.

The residents, work out how to get home in time.

Not used it but told it works??

"wheres a pathologist when you need one?"

about to become the unintentional centre of a mid flight terror alert - long story.

I'm having robbing problems (or at least I think I am!) in both my hives. Think I may have triggered it myself by feeding early in the morning rather than in the evening as I would normally. Rookie mistake I won't make again that's for sure.

Having checked around, I have reduced the entrance with grass to about 2 bee widths. There was an entrance block in anyway, so wasn't big in the first place. Not sure what else I could block entrance up with other than grass (suggestions?). Since they removed the grass yesterday evening, I have replaced it and now have draped a wet sheet over both hives int he hope that does the trick.

I am mostly convinced that Robbing is going on, bees all over the front of the hive rather than just on the landing board area, some tussling going on etc, but my only worry is that I've also seen normal traffic of bees returning with pollen etc. I'm not going to cause them trouble am I?

And, should I continue to feed in the evenings?

Back