HELP - Hornets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,
I have hornets devouring the colonies in my garden. I don’t know where their nest is to get rid of them. I’ve swatted a few but is there any way of preventing them from grabbing the bees?
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Photo or video please (dead or alive)

Last edited:
If they are Crabro then they don't usually predate the colony as Asian hornet does, though I guess there can be exceptions.
As Bob has asked a pic or description is needed of the hornet.

I have loads of hornets in my garden I use traps with Apple cider vinegar and sugar water a drop of washing up liquid and sometimes add some apple cider they go mad for the apple cider vinegar and the bees hate the smell so don't go in them. Emptied the traps a couple of days ago and was full of hornets and wasps and they're already filling up again. I don't like killing the hornets tbh but it keeps them occupied and the numbers in the garden down. I have these and use the sachet an add apple cider and a drop of washing liquid and I also made some extra traps out of old plastic bottles 2 x Asian Hornet Traps with 10 Refils, Pest Control Beekeeping, Free P&P | eBay

Last edited:
I just put my solar melter out to melt a couple of old frames down. It is now covered in wasps. Don't think I will use it this time of the year again!

I never kill Crabro I find them an impressive insect and at that a beneficial one, in 14 years have only ever seen one or two try to take any of my bees on the wing so quite rare occurrence where I live.

A beek acquaintance has an apiary with several colonies and in the same apiary and owl box that Crabro have nested in, in the past. They don't bother his colonies.

Admittedly I haven't had a problem with local hornets around my hives, nor when they had a nest above my balcony (apart from the fact that they're out late on autumn evenings and your lights attract them in through any open windows) ... I do like them and am only sorry that I've seen so few this summer.

When are we going to get away from this bee-centric way of looking at insects?:rolleyes:
Wasps and hornets are pollinators too, as well as their important role in natural predation. They keep down spiders and other insects in the natural balance of life.
I'm not saying we'd be knee-deep in dead insects without the likes of wasps and hornets cleaning up, but it's probably closer to the truth than a lot of people would like to think.
The focus should be on keeping secure, strong hives which can protect themselves rather than killing all the wasps in sight.

Latest posts

Back