Help - HONEYBEE nest in my compost bin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anewbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am hoping I can get some advice about a Honeybee nest found in my compost bin. I dont want to call pest control because they will just kill the bees. I dont know anything about bees and my recent research tells me how to move the bees to a new better environment. But I am not going to undertake this as a complete novice - without the necessary equipment or the financial means to buy this immediately.
What should I do - Do you know of any advisory body or society who can help me? I cant leave the bees where they are because I have small children and pets who
Due to the recent decline in the bee population in the UK myself and my partner have talked about keeping bees in the future but we were planning on putting these on top of the garage roof which we are converting into a roof top garden. But we were both going to take a course in bee keeping first.
So in my mind the best result would be to move this nest with the queenbee to another better location. Any ideas.

Check out your local beekeeping association on the internet and contact them about the colony. They can arrange for someone to collect it. Your local police station should also have the contact details for your local swarm collection officer. Good luck on becoming a future beekeeper.

Maybe post where you are from and someone here may live close to you.

Can we be confident these are honey bees and not bumble bees?

If honey bees look for a contact number for your local bee keeping asociation and they will arrange removal. You local police station may well have a contact name if you are stuck, as may your local council office. Numbers are posted on the internet for swarm control.

So there are numerous ways to make contact.

If they are bumble bees (and it does happen so regularly in these instances!) a similar approach for an appropriate person should give positive results.

Regards, RAB

P.S. You might get a response from someone on this forum if you were to give a location!

Cont/...

Thanks guys for your advice. I live on the Hampshire / Surrey Border in Farnborough. I will take a photo of the bee tomorrow to determine the species
I dont think they are bumblebees as they are bigger and they are definately not wasps. Its too dark now to disturb the nest but tomorrow I will get a photo to share.

How many are there? How many at one time have you seen?
What are they doing?
Are they furry/fuzzy?
Do they have pronounced yellow stripes on them?
Bumble bees come in all sizes, so i wouldnt rule them out without further investigation.

bumble-bee.png

Last edited:
Cont 3...

They have some very light stripes and a little bit furry and going in and out of the compost bin were a minimum of a 40 or so. When I got a little closer a lot more swarmed out and in again as if protecting.

I have looked at a book for identifying different bees types and they seem to look from a distance like a honey bee. However I will catch one in the daylight tomorrow so I can confirm type.

I dont want to look in the compost bin to check the nest as every attempt to get closer bought more bees out.

Cx

Sounds like probably honey bees given the numbers- and rather bad-tempered ones. This seems to be your local contact.
Farnborough (Hampshire) Area
Fr Cuthbert OSB 01252 546105
St Michael's Abbey, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 7NQ
Will collect anywhere within 40 minute drive of Farnborough. Because we are monks we are usually available at any time of day or evening.
Email: abbas @ farnboroughabbey.org. They wont mind if they turn out not to be honey bees- I would call them rather than get stung trying to catch one.

PEST CONTROL WILL KILL THEM!!! Not all pesties are that way inclined!
My husband regularly turns down jobs for swarms that cant be removed - and did before I started keeping bees - the only exception is if someone suffers badly from stings. Please remember some full time professional pesties do have a concience ! Even though it meens passing up on money that pays bills and letting another pestie who maybe doesnt worry do the job! It may be worth speaking to local small/sole trader pestie in your area, If they dont charge for call out then let them have a look they should be able to say for sure if they are honey bees or not.

I know bees will nest in some strange places but usually find that it is bumble bees in compost bins. would recommend that you just leave be if it is bumbles and start a new bin somewhere else. Dogs soon learn as do children not to get too close

I live in Farnborough and could pop round for a quick look. I'll PM you

Andy

Latest posts

Back