Help finding a comfortable beesuit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apimama

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I seem to have made a mistake in going with a cheap beesuit. I got one for just short of 30 quid from simon the beekeeper but the sizing seems off to me. In order to fit my hips and legs into the bee suit I need to go 4 sizes higher than I normally would need and as a result the top half is so big on me I'm drowning in it. Can't look down without the round veil hat falling down over my face :(

When I did my beginners course the suits they provided were nothing like this, but I can't remember what the brand was (waiting for a reply to my enquiry about that).

So what I wanted to ask is what beesuits you would recommend. Particularly interested in hearing from ladies, especially with wide hips! Sorry if that sounds a bit creepy :blush5:

May I suggest a day out to thornes and try a few on!
E

Looking at the Thornes website I don't see them stocking different brands to try.. would you recommend their suits for comfort?

Abelo is closer to me than Thorns, and I went earlier this week too but since I had alreat ordered one online I didn't try any on. Regretting that now! Doh!

My other half has a BB wear jacket with the traditional veil and really likes it, she has never bothered with BK trousers, just jeans and wellies, never had a problem!

Google sheriff bee suits. Been around for years tough and repair service also U.K. based

Some of the bee suit companies do tailor made for about an extra £20 or so...well worth the money if you are a "difficult" fit...
Check out the web sites for BB wear or Sherriff (?) bee suits.

Recently bought one of an auction site made in india.It was one of the layered mesh type and i ordered XL because im tall. It was massive and way to big and as i found that the bees were clinging to it even when i took it off. So ordered one from BB have not used it yet but looks good and doesent look like the bees will cling to the material.

Sheriff does look very good and they do custom sizes too. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend over £100 but will happily do so if it means I have a suit that is comfortable :)

I like how sheriff do a variety of colours too.

Thanks for the help all!

I can’t help on sizing but I have a Sheriff (light green + fencing veil). I can confirm that they are hard wearing (8 years old), that said they do get hot (IMO) because of the thickness of the material.

I've a Sherriff jacket that's got to be over 30 years old. Just the odd little repair to it but the quality is excellent.

It's a bit tight for me as I have broad shoulders so I'm getting a new one. Pity they don't do them camouflaged. I do hope Sherriff are the same quality.

I'd suggest you go for a jacket rather than a suit.

They are a beginner go for a suit. No crap on clothes and bee tight

I remember years ago that Sherrifs were advertising that the material was so sheer the bees couldn't cling to it.

That turned out to be total crap and they not only could hold on to it but were perfectly able to sting through it too, and did. Expertly. Rather put me off that did. BBwear for me now.

PH

The good suits seem expensive but it will be the best purchase you ever make... They take alot of hammer and wash week in week out

You could get a jacket and trousers in different sizes - BBWear do them and give good sizing info on their website. They are very helpful if you ring too.

Have BB Wear one - find it comfy, haven't yet been stung through it, but it did come up a little small size wise so I had to go one bigger.

I remember years ago that Sherrifs were advertising that the material was so sheer the bees couldn't cling to it.

That turned out to be total crap and they not only could hold on to it but were perfectly able to sting through it too, and did. Expertly. Rather put me off that did. BBwear for me now.

PH

If your referring to the thin nylon type suits that I think the claim is made over I’ve used them in Africa and the Caribbean with ahb and found them more than up to the job. Bb wear is a member of the sherif family!!

I have a cheaper mesh suit from STBK, when it wears out I'd be tempted to go for the Sentinel Pro II suit, looks well thought out. Friend got one and she was very pleased.

BBwear will make to measure. I have 2 jackets and highly recommend them. Considering a full suit -- there are odd occasions where it would be better than jacket and trousers which is what I normal wear.

Latest posts

Back