Help call for vanishing honeybees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The UK's honeybees are vanishing at an "alarming" rate, yet the government is taking "little interest", a group of MPs says.

Read More...

surprise, surprise, more calls for compulsory registration........ just so the BBKA and their chemical masters can gain a stranglehold.......
Where's me pirate flag?

Er!,
I saw no reference to the BBKA/Chemical companies in the bulletin.
I suspect flying your pirate flag would perhaps assist in as much as you could then see beyond your nose, as it's presently being used as a very effective blindfold :laughing-smiley-014.
The demise of the bees is a big big question and the blaming of one parocial organisation for all the ills world wide is truly laughable !

John Wilkinson

surprise, surprise, more calls for compulsory registration........ just so the BBKA and their chemical masters can gain a stranglehold.......
Where's me pirate flag?

What is the issue with compulsory registration?

If you keep pigs, sheep, cattle and other livestock you are required to be registered and track all stock movements (yes I know bees fly around lol).

Not sure what the problem is compulsory registration, convince me of the horror without mentioning the BBKA or chemical companies.

Jez

If it's a Government scheme, how about "lost" memory sticks and CD roms; how about free registration, that somehow eventually, [soon], attracts a "small admin fee", that [soon again], gets treated as any other tax?

John

What agency would run such a scheme for the goverment ?
Will they be independent of financial ties from commercial companies ?

Would an agency form a seperate company to distance itself from the main body and it's members ?

Planbee, do any public departments have your details so that you can claim your pension/tax credits/health care/dental care/bus pass/kids schooling/evening classes/library books/driving licence/whateverelseyouwanttoputinaninexhaustivelist...................?

have any of you personal details actually ever been lost by a gubberment dept?

incidentally, mine have and it made bugger all differnece to my life ;)

Yes Taff,

The NHS lost all my records in 1980, then in 1992/3, they lost them again!

Or the bit that ran from 1980 to 1992, anyway; I'm probably lying in a dusty archive, as I trype this.

As a heart patient, [now a "zipperman"], very inconvenient, not just for me, but for them, as well.

John

Last edited:
Yes Taff,

The NHS lost all my records in 1980, then in 1992/3, they lost them again!

Or the bit that ran from 1980 to 1992, anyway; I'm probably lying in a dusty archive, as I trype this.

As a heart patient, [now a "zipperman"], very inconvenient, not just for me, but for them, as well.

John

That is indeed lost in one sense of the word and must have been a right pain at the time, but the context you used earlier was

how about "lost" memory sticks and CD roms;

Implying lost so that your personal details were available for a passer by to pick up and load onto their computer or laptops that can be stolen from the back of a car leading to the potential of identity theft.

I honestly dont see any reason not to register, hence my point of if you are registered to receive your pension or whatever will benefit you why not register your bee's, the gubberment have your details a dozen times over already. :confused:

admin - thanks for your edit :cheers2:

Taff,

We shall have to agree to disagree on this one.

You have your opinion, and I, mine.

John

surprise, surprise, more calls for compulsory registration........

Hi Brosville. In France registering your apiary is compulsory. You register with the regional veterinary service. I have never had any interference as a result of registering. Actually, the idea is to try to protect your bees from the illnesses that other bees may have. A good idea n'est-ce pas? Unless of course your bees are ill and you want to play pirates.

Best wishes.

It also helps for knowing the number of hives around and hence, how the non feral bee population is varying

This could be absolutely fine, assuming the "powers that bee" are benevolent and independent. My experiences suggest that Hilary Benn and Defra are, at the very least, unduly under the influence of the agrochemical and pharmaceutical industries, and suspect that moves towards compulsory registration have far more to do with the will of certain parties to head towards mass compulsory medication (rumours suggest that "Coumaphos", made by those cuddly people at Bayer will be licensed for use against small hive beetle when it first appears).
I really don't need to go into the aiding and abetting of such moves by a certain organisation which is desperate for increased membership/influence to bolster it's present sidelined position of only nominally representing some one in 3 of UK beekeepers.........

If you want to check known cases where your data may have been lost, the Open Rights Group have an on-line questionnaire you can complete to find out.

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/dataloss

thats an interesting link, the MOD wrote to me to tell me that my (very old and out of date) details were on the laptop that was stolen a couple of years ago, the punishment for losing data now is extremely swift and carreer ending.

Taff,

We shall have to agree to disagree on this one.

You have your opinion, and I, mine.

John

I'm not really disagreeing with you over this issue, I'm trying to understand your point of view and reasons for not registering your bee's when then government hold your details on so many databases already.

beekeeping is an activity that can be influenced by your neighbouring beek, he can negatively affect your bee's without realising that he has problems himself, even if that is by him flooding the area with drones from a strain that you find undesirable and dont wnat in your hives, local co-operation and teamwork may be easier if you are all singing off the same hymn sheet.

This could be absolutely fine, assuming the "powers that bee" are benevolent and independent. My experiences suggest that Hilary Benn and Defra are, at the very least, unduly under the influence of the agrochemical and pharmaceutical industries, and suspect that moves towards compulsory registration have far more to do with the will of certain parties to head towards mass compulsory medication (rumours suggest that "Coumaphos", made by those cuddly people at Bayer will be licensed for use against small hive beetle when it first appears).
I really don't need to go into the aiding and abetting of such moves by a certain organisation which is desperate for increased membership/influence to bolster it's present sidelined position of only nominally representing some one in 3 of UK beekeepers.........

thank you for posting this, there is a serious debate that would need to happen before anything like this is made compulsory.

just being devils advocate for a moment, if a national programme were put in place to medicate a problem out of the country, what good would it do if a percentage of people refused to buy in to the programme and so knowingly, or unknowingly, harbour that problem in his hives and keep spraying the area with the problem season after season? a 100% buy in from the beekeping community would be needed.

"a serious debate that would need to happen" - couldn't agree more, but there will be no debate, the usual coteries of Hilary Benn, DEFRA and the government will take the advice of the chemical companies as they always do, and act accordingly.
If there is any "consultation", it will be the usual governmental sham - they'll take the decision, sign the contracts, and then a website will appear "allowing" the public to "make it's contribution"......... many weeks after the original decision has been implemented, anyone who took the time, trouble and effort to contribute will receive a highly patronising email to the effect that "you know nothing, we have acted in your best interests thicko, thank you for your contribution" - got that t-shirt!

"a serious debate that would need to happen" - couldn't agree more, but there will be no debate, the usual coteries of Hilary Benn, DEFRA and the government will take the advice of the chemical companies as they always do, and act accordingly.
If there is any "consultation", it will be the usual governmental sham - they'll take the decision, sign the contracts, and then a website will appear "allowing" the public to "make it's contribution"......... many weeks after the original decision has been implemented, anyone who took the time, trouble and effort to contribute will receive a highly patronising email to the effect that "you know nothing, we have acted in your best interests thicko, thank you for your contribution" - got that t-shirt!

No disagreement with that, but what about this.....

just being devils advocate for a moment, if a national programme were put in place to medicate a problem out of the country, what good would it do if a percentage of people refused to buy in to the programme and so knowingly, or unknowingly, harbour that problem in his hives and keep spraying the area with the problem season after season? a 100% buy in from the beekeping community would be needed.

where the gubberment is trying to do something 'in our best interests' but because a percentage wont sign up the programme fails.

the gubberment then get a pasting because they didn't do enough to stop the honey bee being wiped out by [insert whatever threat is on the horizon].

damned if they do, damned if they dont :toetap05:

please remember the 'devils advocate' disclaimer at the top

Back