Help bees dont like me.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a slight tangent....
After washing my suit in Washing soda the bees were fine in subsequent inspections. The suit had previously been washed in Fairy Bio....

:iagree:
I only wash in soda, learnt from experience the hard way some time ago!

Well i put a frame of eggs and young grubs and checked a week later and they have made a queen cell complete with grub in the bottom.
My next question is how long should i now leave it before checking?

usually check 3-4 days after first cell is seen, so you can knock down any more queen cells started. then leave alone for at least 3 weeks

As a very new Bee keeper, I am not familiar with this. Can someone explain what a manipulation cloth is please?

Basically it is a cloth that you place over the frames. You leave a gap through which you can lift ( manipulate) the frames etc. You move the cloth over the top of the hive so that it covers over most of the frames. The bees seem to be a lot calmer. if you google "manipulation cloth beekeeping" you will get the idea ;)

Sorry for all the questions but i am having a little trouble.

2 months ago i found a queen cell right in the middle of the middle frame this hive was from a prime swarm i got last year.
We thought that it was properly a suspending cell so left them to it but then the bad weather hit
Last week we had 2 good afternoons and they went out in a big spiral twice with some staying on the roof with there bums in the air.

Could that be mating flights or were they swarming?

also

I have been unable to get into this hive due to as soon as i open the brood box they come for me in big way and i have had to close up and go and tend to my stings.
most of the time they are busy bring in food.

Could this mean the are queenless or just grumpy due to the weather?

Do i leave them and see if they settle or unite with a nuc i have?

Thanks

If you are kitted out well, with two layers over everywhere and two pairs of gloves they rarely get to sting you, so suggest you do that.
Louise

"As a very new Bee keeper, I am not familiar with this. Can someone explain what a manipulation cloth is please?"

one or two teatowels. washed after each inspection.

Basically it is a cloth that you place over the frames. You leave a gap through which you can lift ( manipulate) the frames etc. You move the cloth over the top of the hive so that it covers over most of the frames. The bees seem to be a lot calmer. if you google "manipulation cloth beekeeping" you will get the idea ;)

As a new beekeeper 20 odd years ago, I tried manipulating cloths Anti macasars, various dodges to keep me and the bees apart
I found these to be simply ploys to cover my unease handling bees . I soon discarded the lot of them , found beekeeping less of a chore (more of a pleasure) as I became inured to the stinging and the fear of being stung!

Don't get me wrong, I do think they have their uses but in the short, rather than the long term. Should a colony become agitated whilst I'm manipulating it I place a frame on top of the hive , my frames are 14"x12" which cover adequately . :)

VM

As a new beekeeper 20 odd years ago, I tried manipulating cloths Anti macasars, various dodges to keep me and the bees apart
I found these to be simply ploys to cover my unease handling bees . I soon discarded the lot of them , found beekeeping less of a chore (more of a pleasure) as I became inured to the stinging and the fear of being stung!

Don't get me wrong, I do think they have their uses but in the short, rather than the long term. Should a colony become agitated whilst I'm manipulating it I place a frame on top of the hive , my frames are 14"x12" which cover adequately . :)

VM
:iagree:
I actually find that manipulation cloths, if not used carefully, can agitate the bees more.

VM
So not something I should really concern myself with in the short term, with so much else on the go.

Thank you for explaining it

Latest posts

Back