help/advice with swarm in national hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASHLEY

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hiya everyone,

im new to beekeeping but we had an empty national set up down garden, a swarm has taken residence and is forming 'wild' comb and honey i kinda would like to keep them but organised forming wax and honey on proper foundation not just anywhere inside,

please give me your thoughts,

if anyone local to bn12 then we could come to some arrangement if you want the swarm they dont seem aggresive although i did have the smoker with me,

thanks

Ash.

With a bit of luck you may get someone to help you put the wild comb into frames and then you can keep the bees.
Good look

Do you have brood frames with foundation or could you put the comb they have built in frames by putting it in brood frames with wire / rubber bands you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain :party:

We had a similiar situation with a swarm of bees in a compost bin.

My mentor at our Association put a a nucleus with foundation frames over the top of the bin (obviously with the lid off) and the swarm soon adopted this instead of the bin.

However, I do remember him saying there was a 50:50 chance of it working so perhaps we were just lucky.

Latest posts

Back