hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

widad24

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
im new to the forum and not yet a beekeeper but would like to become one.
i know nothing about it at all but a friend of mine in the next village keeps bees and her honey is so good and i wuld love to be able to produce my own. can you help me out with the real basics?

you need some bees, a box to keep them in (there is a technical term for this which i can't remember at present) and some jars for the honey.

you need some bees, a box to keep them in (there is a technical term for this which i can't remember at present) and some jars for the honey.

I have all those things, but I don't have any honey!!! Did you miss out a step, or do my bees just need a good talking to?

Brian

welcome to the forum, have a good look through some old posts to get you going and also update your details so we know whereabouts your from.
contacting your local beekeeping club is a good chance for hands on experience. but this forum is a great way to research stuff. enjoy

I am sure that others will say the same but enroll on a basic beekeeping course with your local association. It is a great way to get answers to all of the questions that you have. The most important part was the practical lessons where we opened hives, lifted out frames, saw smokers being lit, tried on beesuits, tried out different hive tools, discussed the warm way and the cold way etc etc.

Where in the world are you? Join a local beeks group and go on a practical course - essential I reckon!

Haven't we learned to recognise these yet folks? The next time someone posts something like the thing at the beginning of the thread, go straight to Google and look for their user name. You will find widad24 has been around a bit...

Some posts are genuine and some are just a very clever type of spam.

rooftops

i know - hence the nature of my reply!

i think UK fora must be the only ones that don't do new member welcome threads - friendly bunch aren't we - so bots stand out more for us.

thanks for the tip on the local associations, i had no idea about them.
i'm nearish godalming in surrey so im sure there are plenty around, il have a little search.
also, im not sure where im meant to have been around rooftops but im not some moonlight spammer. im trying to start keeping bees. i hope thats not how you welcome all new members to the fold, fairly harsh accusation in the world of the web isnt it?

My most sincere apologies - we have had a number of "people" introducing themselves only for them to be identified as some sort of robot. I shall go and put on a horse hair bee suit at once and cover myself in hive debris.

Might be flaunting airline rules on his mobile. Could this be an oil worker with time off?

It seemed that the game has changed slightly, adding a bit of uncertainty to the situation. Cleverer by the minute.

Dontcha just love Proxies.

Back