Hello!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruttneri

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there, I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me.
I live in Malta (an island in the Mediterranean), I've had an interest in beekeeping for a long time. Not entirely sure why (might have something to do with a childhood fascination with bees, and the adolescent discovery of mead) - I don't know of any societies or groups in Malta where beekeeping apprenticeship is offered and that's something of a problem.

I'm entirely a beginner, everything I know is thanks to reading I've done online. I visited a beekeeper once when I was younger (my father's friend on a farm) but that was some time ago and he didn't seem particularly open to chatting to me (adults sometimes ignore children and he was that sort of adult).

Anyway, has anybody got any ideas how an isolated person might begin? I've read through a thread here about books for beginners, lots of people seem to suggest David Cramp or E B Wedmore. But I suspect there's nothing better than being in the company of real people who can offer advice and support "in the flesh".

Apologies for the length of this post, and let me wish you all a prosperous new year!

Fancy coming over for a working holiday? Bed board and teaching in return for helping out?
Eb

I am sure the experts will stress lots of reading (for me Hooper was the essential textbook - if a little dense on first reading).

You could also try googling 'beekeepers malta'. A website entitled maltese beekeeping website came up when I did that - but unfortunately our site won't allow one to quote website addresses. I should stress that I know nothing about the maltese website in question, other than that it appeared with google.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello,
You should have no problems finding either bees or advice in Malta .
Try this site
http://www.maltesebeekeeper.com/
Malta does have a beekeeping society plus some unique bees ;).
There is a lady keeper there who is renowned for her knowledge , unfortunately her name escapes me for the moment .

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will enjoy the cut and thrust .

John Wilkinson

Malta
Victor Misfud
Maltese Beekeepers Association

Sorry no address or telephone number !

John Wilkinson

Ruttneri,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

E B Wedmore.

This is the most used reference book I have. However, due to it's age (my copy is dated 1943 or 1944, I think), it should be read with some good knowledge of 'then' and 'now' re manipulations/bees/treatments/terminology etc.

Varroa was a non-entity back then, so no references to it at all.

So I would say a super reference material but only for those that recognise the omissions and, in places, dated techniques and reasoning.

Give that one a miss for your early reading. But do get it when more experienced. Format is magic!

Regards, RAB

Hi, whilst on holiday a couple of years ago in Malta we went over to Gozo and there was a shop in Fontana that seemed to be a delicatesent and sold Comino honey. The lady in the shop knew the beekeeper. The shop was (if my memory is correct) on the main road below the cathedral. You could track the Comino honey beekeeper and see if they can teach you in return for labour? Or just email [email protected] as per link from drstitson. :)

Thanks very much all!

I've sent a few emails out, hopefully I'll get a reply.

That forum looks interesting, issues in Sicily would definitely be reflected somewhat in Malta. Will need to brush up on my Italian though.

(ed. still not sure which books to go for, but I've found a few reasonably priced ones on ebay)

(ed. still not sure which books to go for, but I've found a few reasonably priced ones on ebay)

Hooper's Guide to Bees and Honey is by general consensus here, the most thorough book for introduction. I found Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Campion a good beginners book as well, though definitely written from an English climate perspective.

Apis Mellifera Ruttnerii

Having looked at the website indicated by John Wilkinson, it's interesting that the Maltese sub-species of honeybee is named after Friedrich Ruttner, after whom our new member has named himself - shows he has some basic knowledge of local beekeeping surely - unless he is a descendent of that distinguished scientist ?

As regards books, I have found Alan Campions' "Bees at the Bottom of the Garden" useful as a first primer with Ted Hooper as a more advanced source of detailed info. I suspect that reference to the British Modified National hive in both will be a distraction in any European country where the National is unknown. Of course, no book can equal the practical support that an experienced beekeeper acting as mentor could give.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back